Cast iron kettle on soapstone stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Joacchim

Dec 3, 2018
Chagrin Falls, Ohio
I've seen posts re putting a pot of water on your stove for tea, humidity, etc., but wonder if putting one on a soapstone stove might lead to cracking the stone. Anybody have experience? My kettle has a flat bottom but I won't do this until I hear others' opinions. Fyi, purpose is to add humidity (will it work?), stove top never goes above 500°F.

TIA - Mike
15445669135921455512939.jpg

Probably not if it is sitting on soapstone. Soapstone is a poor thermal conductor, and won't transfer much heat no matter how hot you get it. Does your stovetop have a steel or iron bit that the kettle could sit on?

Run a humidifier. My 2 cents. I used the kettle a few years ago (on steel). Ended up inadvertently making a mess of the stove top by spilling, scratching and boiling over. And I was being careful! I've seen some really goofed up stove tops from those kettles. On nice stoves! Additionally.You wont want to drink any water out of that after using it awhile. They condense mineral out of the water and get really nasty. Up to you.
Here comes the controversy I am sure;lol

Run a humidifier. My 2 cents. I used the kettle a few years ago (on steel). Ended up inadvertently making a mess of the stove top by spilling, scratching and boiling over. And I was being careful! I've seen some really goofed up stove tops from those kettles. On nice stoves! Additionally.You wont want to drink any water out of that after using it awhile. They condense mineral out of the water and get really nasty. Up to you.
Here comes the controversy I am sure;lol
I think you're right. Maybe before they invented humidifiers, cast iron kettles were the best solution but lots of downsides. I think I thought it'd be kinda rustic looking...plus, didn't cost me anything.

I think you're right. Maybe before they invented humidifiers, cast iron kettles were the best solution but lots of downsides. I think I thought it'd be kinda rustic looking...plus, didn't cost me anything.
They are rustic looking. Very rustic!!! I also played with making coffee/tea etc. on a trivit. Its all cool. Just not something I stuck with. Good luck either way.

Soapstone is a poor thermal conductor,
Hmmm really weird. I used to place my dragon cast iron pot on the top of my old Hearthstone Mansfield and had to fill it at least once a day. I guess mice were thirsty.

X2 on using a humidifier. Accidents will happen on top of the stove that you don't want. Been there done that. Kevin

I have found an open pot is better than a spout pot as the spout can drip drip drip.