Cast Iron or Soapstone

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrat

Jan 29, 2010
Western NY
I have been reading a lot on this forum and I have narrowed down my choices for a new wood stove to replace my 20+yr old Lopi. I am torn between a Hearthstone Mansfield and a Quadrafire Isle Royale. I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction. There are a few things that I am hoping someone can answer for me about each one. first on the Mansfield I have read that you have to be very careful how hot the stove gets, that you will crack the stone if it gets above 400-500 deg. My Lopi gets above that quite frequently. Second on the Isle Royale the size of the firebox seems smaller than 3.0. I put 3 good sized logs in a display and it seemed cramped and not easy to load from the top, which is the one feature I like on the Isle Royale over the Mansfield. Sorry if this was a little long. Thanks in advance for the help.

Baker said:
I have been reading a lot on this forum and I have narrowed down my choices for a new wood stove to replace my 20+yr old Lopi. I am torn between a Hearthstone Mansfield and a Quadrafire Isle Royale. I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction. There are a few things that I am hoping someone can answer for me about each one. first on the Mansfield I have read that you have to be very careful how hot the stove gets, that you will crack the stone if it gets above 400-500 deg. My Lopi gets above that quite frequently. Second on the Isle Royale the size of the firebox seems smaller than 3.0. I put 3 good sized logs in a display and it seemed cramped and not easy to load from the top, which is the one feature I like on the Isle Royale over the Mansfield. Sorry if this was a little long. Thanks in advance for the help.

For a Hearthstone it is recommended that you should not go above 600 degrees on the stove top.

Apart from that, I can't really help you until I hear more.

How big is your home?
Will you be running it 24/7 or close to it? If not the cast iron stove is a better choice as it warms up quicker.
Is money a concern? Because there is about a thousand dollar difference between the stoves. I believe the Isle can be had for $2500 and the Mansfield can go as high as $3500.

BrowningBAR said:
Baker said:

For a Hearthstone it is recommended that you should not go above 600 degrees on the stove top.

How big is your home?
Will you be running it 24/7 or close to it? If not the cast iron stove is a better choice as it warms up quicker.
Is money a concern? Because there is about a thousand dollar difference between the stoves. I believe the Isle can be had for $2500 and the Mansfield can go as high as $3500.

House is 2500sqft, running 24/7. When I purchase I only want to buy once, so price is a concern but not a high one. Saving on propane to heat the house can off set the price of the stove. Since I can't seem to stop reading the forum now I have another possibility - Pacific Energy Aldera6 don't know much about them though. Steel box in a cast iron stove? not sure what that means. just checked my Lopi and top is at 500deg. Ash Pan is a must.

I have both a cast iron Jotul and a Heartstone Heritage. I run the soapstone stove between 400-500 degrees according to my temp gauge on the flue. The stove itself doesn't get that hot. I can't even get the kettle to boil while sitting directly on top of the stove at 600 degrees. The cast iron stop gets much hotter to the touch. It does seem that you can overfire the soapstone much easier than cast iron though. I think there are advantages to both stoves. Soapstone takes much longer to heat up and I don't think it feels as warm as the cast iron but it does stay hours longer than cast iron does.

I like my Isle ...front load a big round for night ops and top load a piece or 2 at a time for the day if you are around..I like the top load alot, but you cannot load it as much from the top as from the front due to the bypass swinging down in the way...you can learn a few tricks to load from the top that helps add more wood than normal though like go up against the andirons with the first piece on the reload and then another 1/4 split piece toward the middle, I grab one more and set it so I lift the bypass handle to swing the bypass up a tad and set the split against it so it wants to fall into the back then close the bypass and let it slip down to the back. then you can put one more piece on the top. as long as its not higher than the 2 sections of steel on either side where the bypass rests when closed you know you will be good.

you also get better and better knowing what shape of wood piece fits best and picking the proper one out for the placement. really a non issue as you get used to burning...but all in all a GREAT stove and really beautiful fire and stove that radiates a great deal. definately get the blower kit for sure.

Sorry, can't help you. I'm stuck in exactly the same place. I'm getting a new stove for a house I'm moving into
this spring and can't decide either.

I had an older Hearthstone soapstone stove in a previous house and enjoyed it immensely. I had no idea how to burn
at the time and didn't even realize that soapstone could crack if overheated. My only guide was a thermometer
on the chimney that the previous owner had left behind. Plus, I'm pretty sure the wood I was using wasn't as
dry as it should have been. Somehow, I heated my house, never had a chimney fire, and didn't crack the stone.

I'm leaning towards the Mansfield for the more consistent heat, but I change my mind from day-to-day. It isn't like
the Isle Royale's heat is tremendously inconsistent, but it does cool down significantly overnight, while still being
able to re-light easily the next day. Tonight, it will drop below zero, and by 7 a.m, the house will drop from 72 to 62-64. I think
the Mansfield will provide less fluctuation, but it will also be irritating if for some reason I want quick heat because I
know that's not going to happen with the Mansfield.

The good news is that they are both good stoves. You really can't go wrong with this choice.

Baker said:
BrowningBAR said:
Baker said:

How big is your home?

House is 2500sqft, running 24/7. When I purchase I only want to buy once, so price is a concern but not a high one. Saving on propane to heat the house can off set the price of the stove. Since I can't seem to stop reading the forum now I have another possibility - Pacific Energy Aldera6 don't know much about them though. Steel box in a cast iron stove? not sure what that means. just checked my Lopi and top is at 500deg. Ash Pan is a must.

I wouldn't make an Ash Pan a deal breaker.

BrowningBAR said:
Baker said:
BrowningBAR said:
Baker said:

How big is your home?

I wouldn't make an Ash Pan a deal breaker.

Sorry but it is for me. 20 plus years of cleaning out the stove has put its toll on me and will never buy a stove without one.

hoverp said:
I like my Isle ...front load a big round for night ops and top load a piece or 2 at a time for the day if you are around..I like the top load alot, but you cannot load it as much from the top as from the front due to the bypass swinging down in the way...you can learn a few tricks to load from the top that helps add more wood than normal though like go up against the andirons with the first piece on the reload and then another 1/4 split piece toward the middle, I grab one more and set it so I lift the bypass handle to swing the bypass up a tad and set the split against it so it wants to fall into the back then close the bypass and let it slip down to the back. then you can put one more piece on the top. as long as its not higher than the 2 sections of steel on either side where the bypass rests when closed you know you will be good.

you also get better and better knowing what shape of wood piece fits best and picking the proper one out for the placement. really a non issue as you get used to burning...but all in all a GREAT stove and really beautiful fire and stove that radiates a great deal. definately get the blower kit for sure.

We went and looked at the Isle and the firebox is no where near what the MFG says it is. Isn't any bigger that the Lopi I have now, 20x16x12. So will it give off more heat and burn longer? My Lopi has the buner tubes/secondary burn.

The Mansfield is the way to go. I have used the Isle Royale for years in my showroom on Long Island and I have been using the Mansfield for the past 2 years here in our showroom in Central NY. Keep in mind, Hearthstone has a 10% off sale running for another few days. The Mansfield is hands down an easier stove to load, control and clean. The heat life is amazing. For an example, yesterday I loaded the stove up almost all the way, just to finish the logs left in the log rack. Still enough room for 2 more splits in the firebox. This way about 3PM. I got in the office this morning at 7:30 and the stones were still warm to the touch. The glass always stays clean and even though the stove is heating half of our showroom (about 1500 sf) I can sit with clients a few feet away and not feel overwhelmed with heat. I run the Mansfield with surface temps on the stone at 400-600 degrees when the showroom is busy and never had a stone crack. In fact (Knock on wood) I have been selling Hearthstones on and off for close to 25 years and NEVER had a customer report a cracked stone. I know others have reported it elsewhere, but no one that ever bought a stove from me.

The cost of the Mansfield in flat black after the 10% off is about $2800. Thats a few hundred bucks over the Isle and even less when you figure the added money you'll save from the tax credit. Worth EVERY extra penny. I wouldn't want to sell you a stove out of our territory, but your welcome to stop by our shop near Syracuse and see this beauty in action.

Baker said:
hoverp said:

We went and looked at the Isle and the firebox is no where near what the MFG says it is. Isn't any bigger that the Lopi I have now, 20x16x12. So will it give off more heat and burn longer? My Lopi has the buner tubes/secondary burn.

Hmm, that only comes to 2.1 cu ft, are you sure those measurements are correct?

If I remember Monday I'll measure the actual inside of the Mansfield again. I did it once and I think it worked out to about 2.9 CF of real usable firebox.

I would not worry about the overfire issue. Unless you did something dumb like leave the ash door open, etc. I doubt you will reach overfire. This is my first season with my new Mansfield and I can honestly tell you that I have tried to get it as hot as possible, and the stove runs itself very well. Under recomended usage, you will not be able to overfire it. It's a smart stove! We love ours and coming from a steel stove, I would never go back. Easy to load and operate. Large fire box for the 24/7 burner like me. No worry stove. Load it...... Scale down the air...... Walk away....... Let her heat! All the overfire worries are over done IMHO.

I hope you enjoy whatever you buy. But do what I did and go for the Mansfield!!

I installed a Mansfield in November and am very happy with the purchase. It does take longer to warm up from a cold start, but I'm a 24/7 burner and don't see many of those. The glass stays clean with just an occasional wipe with a damp paper towel. I have consistently been burning unseasoned wood and have had no problems, but I have strong draft in my chimney, so I'm sure that helps. If you're going to keep the stove in the "sweet spot" overnight, plan on getting up to reload. That's probably true with either stove. The ash pan works good as long as you are burned down to mostly ash, if there are many hot coals, the grate in the bottom of the firebox will get hung up with coals stuck in there. Otherwise, the ash pan seems pretty user friendly to me. In the event I have many hot coals and don't want to wait for them to burn to ash, I just use the ash pan itself as a shovel and scoop them out. Make sure you have your "ove glove" on for that maneauver! I am burning approx. 2-3 heaping wheelbarrow fulls of wood a day and running around 4-450 at most times. It almost seems difficult to over fire, but I keep a fan pointing towards the stove (to move air out of the 2 sided fireplace mine is installed in). My only real gripe has more to do with the fact that I should have gone with the EQ, as I'm trying to heat 3400 sq ft. of drafty, high ceilings. The Mansfield will keep up down to the high teens. Below that, I hear the dreaded furnace start kicking on. If you're home is up to the 2500 ft recommended by the manufacturer, maybe even a tighter 3000, you should be good to go. I was not able to fit the larger Class A thru my 2nd floor, which is why I stayed with the Mansfield. The consensus on the forum was to go with the EQ, and they were right if I was able to shoehorn it in. Finally, everyone who walks into the house comments, "What a beautiful stove"...

Russ in Chicagoland said:
I am burning approx. 2-3 heaping wheelbarrow fulls of wood a day and running around 4-450 at most times.

Huh!!! What??? Holy Cow Man! How often do you reload? I load at 8am then again at 4pm then at 10pm. Stove stays above 400 the whole time and cruises around 500-550. I might use one wheelbarrow load a day.... Max.

Yeah, that doesnt go along with my experience either. I can load full at 8AM and have the stove be hot at 5:30 when I go home. I load it FULL, n/s and choke the air all the way down. I would guess one heaping wheelbarrow full would last a solid 24 hours (3 loads at 8 hours each)

Franks said:
Yeah, that doesnt go along with my experience either. I can load full at 8AM and have the stove be hot at 5:30 when I go home. I load it FULL, n/s and choke the air all the way down. I would guess one heaping wheelbarrow full would last a solid 24 hours (3 loads at 8 hours each)

Yep.

Franks said:
The Mansfield is the way to go. I have used the Isle Royale for years in my showroom on Long Island and I have been using the Mansfield for the past 2 years here in our showroom in Central NY. Keep in mind, Hearthstone has a 10% off sale running for another few days. The Mansfield is hands down an easier stove to load, control and clean. The heat life is amazing. For an example, yesterday I loaded the stove up almost all the way, just to finish the logs left in the log rack. Still enough room for 2 more splits in the firebox. This way about 3PM. I got in the office this morning at 7:30 and the stones were still warm to the touch. The glass always stays clean and even though the stove is heating half of our showroom (about 1500 sf) I can sit with clients a few feet away and not feel overwhelmed with heat. I run the Mansfield with surface temps on the stone at 400-600 degrees when the showroom is busy and never had a stone crack. In fact (Knock on wood) I have been selling Hearthstones on and off for close to 25 years and NEVER had a customer report a cracked stone. I know others have reported it elsewhere, but no one that ever bought a stove from me.

The cost of the Mansfield in flat black after the 10% off is about $2800. Thats a few hundred bucks over the Isle and even less when you figure the added money you'll save from the tax credit. Worth EVERY extra penny. I wouldn't want to sell you a stove out of our territory, but your welcome to stop by our shop near Syracuse and see this beauty in action.

Thanks everyone for your input. I think I am going to buy the Mansfield. Franks, I called my local dealer and they said the sale was only through January 9th, is that right? Boy 10% would really seal the deal.

The 10% off goes from 1/15 to 2/28 according to the email I got from Hearthstone. They may not be participating for whatever reason. We are though. If you can't find a local dealer that plays along, just send me a PM. I dont like selling outside of my sales territory but if you can save $315+ the tax on that amount by driving a couple of hours, it may be worth it to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.