Cast Iron Sectional Wood Boiler similar to Attack FD-42

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RegencyNS

Feb 13, 2008
Atlantic Canada
I was looking at the Attach FD-42 wood/coal boiler and realized that this boiler is almost identical in design to the sectional coal boilers that have been in use in Nova Scotia for years. Coal boilers with names like Viking Jr. Dominion no1 and no2 are all sectional cast iron coal boilers that almost look identical to the Attack (minus the metal cladding on the outside). These coal boilers are a dime a dozen in Nova Scotia, buying a good working one could cost less than $500. They are sectional, meaning you can add more sections to increase heat output and increase firebox size. They were made for burning coal and have coal grates in them. I'm wondering how well they would be burning wood. I know the Attack FD-42 also has grates and it seems it is a good alternative to the more expensive gasification boilers, and much better than the steel lined conventional indoor boilers.
Hmmm, If I could get my hands on a Viking Jr. or Dominion no2 coal boiler and set it up to burn wood, that may be a very cost effective wood boiler. Anybody ever seen this done before?

Hi Regency; From what I've read the Biasi 3 Wood produces a lot of heat & a lot of creosote with it. The 3 Wood has secondary air & this doesn't solve the problem. The FD-42 is similar. I believe the best you could do with a cast iron sectional is to run it flat out with storage. Otherwise your chimney will look like mine did with my Energy Mate, it looked like it was lined with black marble. There is no substitute for a gasser & I have an Atmos on the way. You might want to check into the cheaper gasifiers.. By the way, I took a tour of the new Energy Mate factory many years ago in Franksville Wi & the way they tried to combat creosote was to run up to 1000 degree stove pipe temps, yes this means 2000 degree flue gas temps in the center of the pipe. I didn't have the guts to run mine like this, you could see a white flame going past the barometric. The engineer told me it was not uncommon for the stove pipe to glow red. If you can buy a gassifier, Randy

Status
Not open for further replies.