cast iron significant difference?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
rob bennett said:
Lets be honest, everyone attests to the superiority of their OWN stove most of the time on this forum. Cat non cat, soapstone insert harthstove etc. Got a rumsford fireplace? I bet you think thats the best.

That being said, I'd love to build a masonary heater. I have read throught that entire site that you mentioned and nearly bought the book until I realized it really would't work unless I put it in the basement.

OK. Let's be honest.

Sure, most people are enamored with their own stuff. That's pretty normal and expected.

But that's only looking at part of what I see on forums like this one. I read here a LOT of folks are beset with problems and complaints with their particular favorite chosen wood burner. Many have unrealistic expectations from one; i.e., "How do I heat the whole house... etc."

My point is the many who complain could have been happier with what they purchased had they spent time looking into a system, did some background checking into what their local dealer claimed and talked to owners of systems they were interested in before writing the check and expecting delivery before the snow flew. Then there's the chest thumping glandular issues seen here that come with cutting, splitting and stacking wood, comparing sizes of wood piles, and similar sophomoric issues.

In an age of bigger, better, faster more - I say, "Slow down and think first".

Aye,
Marty
PS: I just got back from Baltimore - I'm crabby.

Marty S said:
PS: I just got back from Baltimore - I'm crabby.

You were crabby BEFORE you went to Baltimore. :lol:

PS: What did Grandma used to say?

BrotherBart said:
PS: What did Grandma used to say?

Never ever go to Baltimore when you're feeling crabby. She knew.

She also knew that high thermal conductivity in a wood stove IS very desirable, except in the firebox.

Cast iron and steel have nearly the same thermal characteristics per mass. A steel stove of the same mass as a cast iron stove related to the fire will perform nearly identically.

As others have noted, however, perceived performance and comfort increase in geometric progression to the dollar amount of the investment. Therefore, a cast iron stove costing twice as much as an equivalent steel stove will provide four times the perceived performance and pleasure, provided that due to the diminished assets available after the investment sufficient moula remains to acquire the fuel to stoke the stove. :)

Think of it more as a veto power than a selection criteria. "If it is ugly it isn't going to make me happy" Some folks like to pick different battles than others and I respect that.

My steel plate stoves are two of the prettiest and most effective and functional and satisfying things I own. I neither covet nor disparage anyone else's choice of stove. Well, I may question some of the low-end EPA exempt models...but hey, get what you want, make damned sure you install and operate it properly, and enjoy it. Rick

rob bennett said:
Lets be honest, everyone attests to the superiority of their OWN stove most of the time on this forum. Cat non cat, soapstone insert harthstove etc. Got a rumsford fireplace? I bet you think thats the best.

That being said, I'd love to build a masonary heater. I have read throught that entire site that you mentioned and nearly bought the book until I realized it really would't work unless I put it in the basement.

Well said. In those words you have summed up 50% of the posts on this forum. That is a good thing. That means most people have a product that is giving them some heat and not burning down the house. Cheers to them!

i have a steel insert and i like it but they do not last like cast iron.why do we use stainless steel liners? because if we used the steel our stoves where made out of it would rot out. steel is cheaper and easier to manufacture,that's why it is used.

precaud said:
The other significant difference is that with cast iron, chances are at some point the stove will have to be disassembled and the joints recemented or regasketed.
I have a steel stove. Nothing fancy- no bas relief nature scenes or whatever. Just "black, square, kinda regular..." It heats my house real good. It's 5/16 in steel, all welded construction, and built like the proverbial brick... er- battleship. All the welds are sound. It's not rusted out. Just rebricked it. I like it. Fortunately, I didn't have to get it by any family 'architectural committees'. Yeah, it's ugly. I wouldn't trade it for anything, at this point.

Our wood stove has been providing our 100% wood heat for 18 years and there is not a spec of evidence of corrosion or steel deterioration. It is firebrick lines and have only once had to replace the firebrick.

On the other hand, some steel may be of inferior quality. Our stove has a steel secondary burn plate (4" x 1/4" x 18" approx) that gets superhot to enhance the secondary burn. The one that came with the stove lasted 10 years before it did burn out; replaced it with hardware store steel bar stock several times, as that steel would only last 1-2 years; then replaced it with steel bar stock I bought at a steel supply house and it has been going for 3 years now with no evidence of burnout.

In part you get what your pay for. Yet, how in the world does a person determine the quality of the steel in a stove?

Status
Not open for further replies.