Cast iron, soapstone, steel or ???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scotsman

Feeling the Heat
Aug 6, 2008
West Texas
Hey Y'all--

Is there someplace (or places) on-line that discuss the relative merits and disadvantages of each? I'm assuming each has both.

I'm also interested in understandable details concerning flue technology and requirements, some of which members have already pointed out--much to my relief.

I greatly appreciate all the input from all of you. I'm trying to learn much in a short time. Y'all have already pointed out some issues which the local dealer (the only stove dealer in town) failed to mention and which could have had extreme consequences for this family.

The members of Hearth.com have proved that this forum is of great value to those of us who do not have experience . . . yet. Several of you have taken a personal interest in someone you don't know and have never laid eyes upon. To me, that demonstrates that altruism is not dead, contrary to what daily observation might lead one to think.

I am in your debt already, and we Texans never forget a good turn. Thank you--

Texas boy, there is no debt. It's only people trying to help people. Just being neighborly. We all wish you good luck.

So long as you buy an appropriately sized stove for the space to be heated, and it was built by one of the many recognized manufacturers of high quality stoves, and you like the way it looks in your home, then it doesn't really matter much whether it's cast, soapstone, or steel. I have steel stoves, because that's what I like. Other people think steel stoves are just butt-ugly. Well, they're wrong %-P , but let's not get into that. The differences in performance are subtle, and pretty much limited to the rate at which the thermal mass of the stove heats up and cools down. There are some great looking, super performing, and nicely constructed stoves of all three flavors out there...take yer pick. Rick

Backwoods Savage said:
Texas boy, there is no debt. It's only people trying to help people. Just being neighborly. We all wish you good luck.

savage is right. folks in here are interested in one thing, the hearth community as a whole. no one profits from information given in here (well maybe web , but he gave us this playroom so if it pays his bills im happy as im sure all of our members are, he certainly deserves it)

what we all want is that you have a safe and happy burning experience.
as for what you decide on for a unit thats up to you really. pick the look and style and features you want within your price range. continue to ask questions when you arent sure of somthing. you will always end up knowing the answer once the members in here have responded.

of course the price we exact is a finished install with a picture or two (we pyros are like that)

Texas boy said:
. . .

I am in your debt already, and we Texans never forget a good turn. Thank you--

Well I don't know about those other guys, but if you come across some good Texas rib-eyes you can send them to me here in Maine to repay your "debt". :) ;)

For the record . . . I'm with you . . . this site has been incredibly valuable . . . I'm just glad I stumbled across it before making my purchase as the guys here have helped me with every step along the way from deciding whether to get a woodstove or pellet stove, which stove to buy in terms of materials, which stove to buy in terms of manufacturer, make and model, how to make a hearth, etc.

If not for this site, I'd just be a lonely, forlorn old retired sailor 200 miles from the sea with nobody to talk to. 8-/ Thanks Craig! Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.