Cast Iron Steel Cylinder

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DevilsBrew

Minister of Fire
Apr 21, 2013
I don't even know where to start learning about this material. I am interested in the shelf life and general durability. Any suggestions?

Shelf life and durability of Cast Iron will depend on a ton of factors. Environment, Preventative maint., actual construction and intended use of the piece, the composition of the cast (metallurgy), etc.

Cast has and is being used in all sorts of extreme environments. Think boiler pressure vessel, exhaust manifolds, brake rotors, wood stoves, etc.

DB - I think I am going to re-route this post as it is not (so far) wood burning appliance(esk).

It would be used for a riser. I admit to knowing next to zero about metals. I am starting to research what type of metal would be best.

(It's cool, Jags. I'm used to DIY. :) )

Reactions: Jags
We do have a small handful of folks here that work with metal professionally. They may have some good resources to get you started.

What are you looking to do DB?

It would be used as a heat riser on a rocket stove, either outdoor or indoor. This comes from a suggestion to use a cast iron sewage or water pipe. Maybe that is different from what I have been googling (cast iron steel)? Not sure.

To be blatantly honest, the only type of cast iron I am familiar with is my Lodge frying pan.

Man, that would be heavy. Thanks, Dakotas.

Maybe visit a scrapyard on a not so busy day and ask a few questions. I have a cast iron chiminea and the flue lifts off the body. I've had mine outside for about 10 years and shot more flame up and out that thing. An inexpensive grill cover will help it last outside.

Keep us updated. And pics, we like to see pics.

Man, that would be heavy. Thanks, Dakotas.

What is your actual question?

To be clear, there is little difference between cast iron and steel in terms of durability and or performance in heating appliances.
The main differences;
Cast iron is fragile for the most part (there are types which are not, such as ductile and maleable iron) and difficult to repair when broken (although possible)
whereas steel is flexible and easy to repair when needed.
Any supposed advantage cast iron has over steel in terms of heat resistance is a myth.

Maybe visit a scrapyard on a not so busy day and ask a few questions. I have a cast iron chiminea and the flue lifts off the body. I've had mine outside for about 10 years and shot more flame up and out that thing. An inexpensive grill cover will help it last outside.

Keep us updated. And pics, we like to see pics.

Will do. I am going to start off small this summer. For the next 2-3 weeks, there is an obligation that I am attending to.

What is your actual question?

To be clear, there is little difference between cast iron and steel in terms of durability and or performance in heating appliances.
The main differences;
Cast iron is fragile for the most part (there are types which are not, such as ductile and maleable iron) and difficult to repair when broken (although possible)
whereas steel is flexible and easy to repair when needed.
Any supposed advantage cast iron has over steel in terms of heat resistance is a myth.

I made the "heavy comment" after looking at an online picture of a cast iron pipe joint.

Thank you for the advice. I need to do a ton of research.

We do have a small handful of folks here that work with metal professionally. They may have some good resources to get you started.
Congrats on the promotion Comandorf.

Reactions: Jags and ScotO
Status
Not open for further replies.