Cast Iron Stove Search

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Therivermonster

Burning Hunk
Dec 10, 2013
Tacoma, WA
Hello all!

We are in search of our first stove for our first house. I have been trolling the forum for some time now and I've learned so much. I've started in on a healthy stack of wood destined for the hearth come next winter at the earliest, however I am having the toughest time deciding on what stove to buy. I know this question comes up fairly regularly, so forgive me. I have done a fair amount of research up to this point, but I need help now.

First of all, we plan to use the stove to heat on the occasional weeknight with it gets colder, and on most weekends in the winter and shoulder seasons. Our home is one story at 900 SF. This doesn't include the attic space which we plan to make usable in the future. The house is very drafty and poorly insulated having been built in 1900. Given this info, we are looking to the wood stove to take up the slack on the electricity bill, but a good fire view is also important to us.

After researching all types of stoves available, I have come to love the soap stone stoves, however my wife loves the look of cast iron, and I think that they look classy as well, so we'll go with cast iron. With this part of the decision made, we began our search for stoves sized to work in our home.

Considerations

1: Cat or non cat - I feel that we don't need a cat stove because we are equally interested in heating as we are in the ambiance of the fire. With this said, we are looking for a non cat stove unless advice given here says otherwise.

2: Ash tray - We don't need an ash tray, but it would be nice to have one from what I have seen. It does seem that some ash collection systems cause more problems than they solve, and I would like to avoid this if at all possible, so I am keeping this close to mind in my research.

3: Color - We like mat black, or white/biscuit color. If we did go with a whiteish stove, it would be nice to color match the flue.

4: Loading - The stove is going to be mounted in a corner, so front loading is probably ideal, and side loading would probably be a nice option as well. I have read a lot about top loaders, however there seem to be a number of challenges / troubles with the down draft systems. There are also some videos on youtube of top loaders back puffing and releasing lots of smoke into the room. Of course back puffing can be resolved, or avoided all together, and is usually user error, but it makes one think twice nonetheless. If you place a lot of importance on top loading, or just generally love a cast stove that happens to be a top loader, and you don't think that I should discount it in my choosing, please let me know.

5: Highest quality / longevity - I am a true believer that you buy once, cry once. Or, poor men can't afford to buy cheap things as they say. I would like to invest in the best cast stove fitting the above requirements possible. Period.

The stoves that we are considering so far are as follows:

- Hearthstone Shelburne
-Vermont Castings Encore
-Jotul F400
-Jotul F500

Please let me know how you feel about the considerations above, and let me know if I am overlooking something. Also, please let me know of any other stoves to consider, and why you feel it would be a good choice.

Thank you all for helping us with our selection. Happy Hollidays!

The Shelburne and F500 are good choices. I'd add some cast iron clad, steel stoves to your search. They fit the criterea to a tee.

Look at the Quad Cumbeland Gap, Pacific Energy T5, Enviro Boston and Napoleon 1400c.

The Shelburne and F500 are good choices. I'd add some cast iron clad, steel stoves to your search. They fit the criterea to a tee.

Look at the Quad Cumbeland Gap, Pacific Energy T5, Enviro Boston and Napoleon 1400c.

Thank you, gebreen. I'll add those to my list. Off to research now...

I have the new encore. It is basically a cat stove. You can run it without the cat installed, but I have seen no reports of users on the board running it with the cat removed and I haven't tried removing it myself... So it would be interesting to see how it runs without the cat.

But regardless, general consensus is stay away from VC for now as it has been sold, resold, and then resold again many times in the past 5? years and many users have been non to thrilled with their stove.

I have been very happy thus far with my Encore 2n1 but had i been reading these forums before purchase I probably would have chose a different stove...fingers crossed. That being said I see it heating 900 sq feet extremely well though. It is heating my 1900sq foot rancher very well and from the basement at that! Our basement is 900 sq feet and my wife would prefer the upstairs be as warm as the downstairs (80 downstairs, 70 upstairs)...so I have a feeling it would be perfect for 900sq feet only.

Btw the power is out here in large parts of michigan (ice storm). I made breakfast this morning (egg scrable with potatoes, boiled the coffee water on the griddle top, and have a chilli going in the cast iron crock pot right now on top....

Im really happy with my shelburn! I made the purchase b-4 joining here so i guess i got lucky finding a good one!
Its not a deep stove so with the rear heat sheild the hearth can be a minimum of 50" out on both sides for a corner install. This was important for me due to the width of the room and sitting next to a sliding door.
It puts great heat out and i can get 8-10 hrs maybe 12 and still have coals to restart, the stove top at that point has been 150-200*. Most of the time i dont pack it tight so ill get 4hrs and a good looking fire for awhile!
Its my second year with it and nothing has fallen off or broken! I have a thread on the install which you might have seen, still not complete but burning!

On the Shelburne, how does the ash grate work? Are you able to open and close it from the outside of the stove? The floor display that we looked at just had a loose cast grate sitting on top of another grate. You could push the top grate back and forth, or just pick it up if you wanted to. Is it supposed to be attached to the stove?

What are peoples experiences with the ash pan on the Shelburne?

Thanks everyone!

If you leave the ash pan grate open then i guess it would work, but im not sure if its suppose to be left open! It is sealed from the door in the front. I keep the 2 pieces which do just sit on top of each other closed, so when i tried to open it the ash wont allow you to. I just find it easier using a garden shovel and a metal bucket with the air opened all the way! Im gonna have a steel plate made with a hole and a plug so i can just lift the plug and push the ash to the hole, but im in no rush!

Status
Not open for further replies.