Cast iron stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wingsfan

Feeling the Heat
Dec 1, 2008
Jackson,Mi.
I have aquired a cast iron wood stove that will eventually go in the basement when we redo the area. Right now i have it stored in my pole barn, out of the way. The problem is, it is starting to rust from the condinsation , as the barn is not heated. My question is what can I do to keep it from rusting all up until we get ready to use it. Should I coat it with something or is there something else that would be better?

I see a couple of options:

1) Spray it with something. I suppose non-toxic would be best...meaning something like vegetable oil or non-stick cooking spray. That would probably stop the rust, but you're going to have one heck of a burn off next fall. You could use some type of lube like WD40, too. But again, you're going to have a pretty smoky first couple of burns next fall.

2) Go ahead and let it rust. As long as it's only surface rust from moisture in the air (ie not some roof leak constantly dripping water on it) , you could hit it with a blast of naval jelly or a stiff wire brush to eliminate the rust and a fresh coat of paint next fall.

3) Bag it and fog it. If the stove is small enough to fit in a trash bag, slip it inside and soak a couple paper towels with WD40 and lay them in the bottom. Over time they will emit vapors which will stop corrosion, and because the stove is in a sealed bag, no additional moisture should get in. This has the advantage of nothing burning off or baking onto the stove surface next fall

Mineral oil, vaseline or even cooking oil will keep it from rusting. Before you bring it into the house, take it outside and fire it up with a nice hot fire to burn off the oils outdoors.

The condensation is caused by temperature changes. Generally, the worst condition is when it has been cold and the air temperature rises. The iron will be relatively cold compared to the warming air and together with the high thermal conductivity of the iron will cause condensation. Dew point is frequently only a few degrees below ambient temperature when humidity is moderate or high.

One way to solve the problem (which is the same as experienced by home shop machinists who have unheated workshops), is to have a small heat source like a light bulb. Since barns are seldom sealed up very well, the way to do it is to put a small lamp into the stove firebox, then cover the stove with something to create an enclosed space like a big cardboard box. If you can wrap that all in plastic, you should be good to go. For a small space, a 25w bulb may be all that is needed to raise the ambient temperature enough so that no condensation forms. You would of course need some form of power available in the barn.

Status
Not open for further replies.