Cast Iron Stoves to be avoided?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm running two Jotuls from 1993 and 1994, and no such breakdowns, yet. If you don't abuse them, they seem to last. Not saying you'll never have to do any maintenance, but the OPs quoted point seems to be grossly exaggerated.

Not exagerated, more like completely off the mark. He is trying to sell his steel stoves.

I would never spend my hard earned money on a new cast stove. In my not so humble opinion a good american made steel flash combustion stove is the way to go. I have a country stove, it's the best stove I've ever had and it seems indestructible.

Yeah that guy has been discussed before. He is a dealer for the Lennox Country Stove steel stove line and uses that site to throw rocks at the competition.

A total bunch of crap and a waste of good electrons.
v You can throw rocks at a lennox country stove all day you might dent it up a little bit. Do the same thing to most all cast stoves and you will end up with a pile of busted up cast iron scrap.

You could bust up a toilet pretty quickly the same way. That doesn't say squat about it's durability on the job or longevity. Fortunately most folks don't go around stoning their stoves.

[q yuote="begreen, post: 1637808, member: 5"]Not exagerated, more like completely off the mark. He is trying to sell his steel stoves.[/quote]
Not exagerated, more like completely off the mark. He is trying to sell his steel stoves.
you're completely off the mark if you think he's completely off the mark.

Reactions: realstihl
Look at the stoves that have survived a century or more and find one that is steel. Cast iron stoves from the 1800s are still around, but nary a steel stove is. You don't need stones to destroy a steel stove, all you need is rust and time. Not that they are poorly made. All things will pass eventually. Even us.

A good toilet can sit out in the field a century and barely age. Can you do the same? Few weeks back we were staying at a hotel that had a nice cast iron Round Oak heating the bar. The same way it has for the past 135 yrs. Prolly older than the both of us combined and still doing the job. G'night Gracie.

IMG_0578web.jpg

Last edited:
v You can throw rocks at a lennox country stove all day you might dent it up a little bit. Do the same thing to most all cast stoves and you will end up with a pile of busted up cast iron scrap.

No rocks at County Stoves at all.

Reactions: Big Dan
Status
Not open for further replies.