Cast iron vs. Steel. Observations from a local RI sweep...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gibson

Apr 29, 2008
Lincoln, RI
This is from the site of a local chimney sweep who also sells Country Stoves and PE. Interesting commentary on cast iron vs. steel.

Moderators or others with experience please advise.

Thanks.

http://www.stoveguide.net/

Edit: There is a similar post in early april that addresses this. Should have looked before I asked...I guess I am becoming like my wife!

There are too many marketing falsehoods on this site to take it seriously. It does a disservice to the industry. There are many misstatements and half-truths here that make it hard to know what is true.

If you are asking about line 3, I would say this is pure BS. The site seems geared towards promoting Country stoves which are not bad stoves at all, but that is lost in all the marketing BS. For example: "Certain stoves, such as the 'Country' stove line, by Lennox, are designed to hold up for life with repeated over firing." Hmm, and just why are there multiple warnings in their manuals to avoid overfiring the stove? Oh yeah, then there is this caveat in the manual too: "Damage caused from over-firing is not covered under the manufacturer's limited warranty." This guy has more hot air than a popcorn popper.

gibson said:
This is from the site of a local chimney sweep who also sells Country Stoves and PE. Interesting commentary on cast iron vs. steel.

Thanks.

Edit: There is a similar post in early april that addresses this. Should have looked before I asked...I guess I am becoming like my wife!

Well, gibson, what do you think? Did he convince you to avoid cast iron? Do you think his guide was comprehensive? Or, do you still have doubts? What about this guide doesn't quite convince you and leaves you skeptical?

Sean

I hope he's honest enough to add a link to his own page when he writes paragraph 10. Rick

pretty lousy way to try to do buisness IMHO, paragraphs 3 and 4 are clearly a misrepresentation of products he doesnt sell while boosting his brand. this is somthing i personally detest. if you believe in your product you shouldnt have to trash other brands. its like saying "mine is adequate and theirs isnt" instead of , "mine is a quality product" it doesnt fly with me one second , the names he rattled off to avoid are some of the highest quality brands on the market (and i say that confidently while technically competing with them). basing your arguement on what happens when you overfire a cast unit, its silly , for starters you shouldnt overfire any woodstove and doing so generally means you arent doing somthing right to start with. its like saying "dont buy a certain brand of car cause it wont run as well after you hit a tree with it. but our car can hit trees several times and still go down the road." i wonder if Lennox would approve of such a lame method of promoting their product line. personally i think the country brand stoves are pretty decent units , have heard good things about them, there shouldnt be a need to brand bash others to sell them.

seaken said:
gibson said:

Thanks.

Well, gibson, what do you think? Did he convince you to avoid cast iron? Do you think his guide was comprehensive? Or, do you still have doubts? What about this guide doesn't quite convince you and leaves you skeptical?

Sean

I already had my mind made up when I saw this, I was just shopping the local chimney sweeps to compare installation. Unfortunately, most of my shopping experience with dealers has been like this guy. All other wood stoves suck, except the ones they carry. To answer your question... I am buying the Jotul 550 insert.

gibson said:
I already had my mind made up when I saw this, I was just shopping the local chimney sweeps to compare installation. Unfortunately, most of my shopping experience with dealers has been like this guy. All other wood stoves suck, except the ones they carry. To answer your question... I am buying the Jotul 550 insert.

That's quite a shame. I am sorry you had such bad experiences. There are many of us dealers who do not think this is the way to do things. Apparently there are not enough of us to go around. How was your Jotul dealer?

Sean

I e-mailed this guy and feigned interest in the Country stoves, just to see if he was for real. He did e-mail me back and asked some questions designed to continue the lead process. What a shame that this guy will probably get more business than the mom and pop shop that has no internet savvy at all.

Sean

Status
Not open for further replies.