cast iron vs. steel; sizing pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi to all

Many thanks for all your comments and anwsers. Wow ! extremly efficient community here contrary to my wood stove. My stove is not that hold, its a Napoleon mid range firebox. I dont remember the commercial name. It's about 3 years hold. When I was talking about a cord of wood, my definition of it, is 8'*4'*16''. The esscence of the wood is 90% Maple. May be the problem is not the stove, but the person who runs it. :)

HarryBack
2. I think $3600 US is a fairly high price, especially in MY market, we are well below $3k US
I dont understand this:
especially in MY market
What does it mean ? And could you give me a more acurate pricing in US$ that you where refering to please ?(
well below $3k US
) The problem is that there is only one provider in Quebec for the Harman stoves. I am trying to look if there is a alternative way or means to get the P68@ a better price. (By the way this is more my domain(where I work) http://www.dalsasemi.com/, nothing to do with stove)

Thanks everyone for your time !

Philippe

OK ! Google to the rescue for MY market

ok- currently, we are selling the Harman P68 at $2299 US. What I meant by MY market is that Ive most likely got more competition than many folks for Harman, and one of MY competition is known as a major discounter.
Im not sure that there is much you can do about the pricing in your area. The Harman dealer who sells the unit is responsible for servicing it......for instance, I could sell you a unit, but I have no intention of ever going to Quebec to service it if there were a problem, so we dont sell stoves out of our "market". Your local dealer is also not required to service a unit he/she didnt sell, so by buying a unit at a distance, you might have a seroius issue if your stove has problems.
By the way, our $2299 US for the P68 is a crated unit....that price includes absolutely NOTHING other than the stove....no delivery, no installation, no pipe, no pellets, no add-ons such as gold trim, logset, etc.

Well $2299 is quite a bit less than all the dealers around me sell it for. :-( The range I got was $2700-2900 with no extras.

liv said:
What are the advantages of cast iron over steel in a pellet stove? It seems most stoves we have seen are steel.

Also, we are not sure about the size of stove we would need. The first floor is mostly open floor plan, 1500 sq. ft., but the stove will be located in the furthest corner of the house, in a room with a lot of windows. We'd like to heat the first floor and also get a little residual heat upstairs without blasting out the family room in which the stove would be located. The ceilings are low (7.5 feet) and the house is a typical New England colonial style. If a stove claims to heat up to 2000 sq. ft., what is the real amount that it will heat - I imagine less in reality?

Thanks.

Advantages of cast iron over steel: I my opinion looks. Cast iron looks more traditional. I like cast iron because it looks like the old wood stoves used to look.

I have a 2100 sf 2 story, with a big great room where the stove is. The stairway leading up stairs has a double landing (2 flights) with an opening to the second floor of about 6' by 10' (a big opening). It abuts the main living area, so the heat from the room where the stove is easily rises up. During the winter you can feel half the air in the opening to the 2nd floor rising up, and the cooler air which is being displaced sinking back down. The upstairs stays within a few degrees of the downstairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.