Cast Iron vs. Steel Stove - Insert question/concerns

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Roxburyeric

Feb 6, 2008
Western Connecticut
I am currently looking to get an insert and have narrowed it down to the Jotul C550. I have an installer recommending a steel stove rather than cast iron. He said that the cast iron stoves are put together with tongue and grove panels and over time the cement will not last (that is the reason you only get a 5 yr. warranty) and a lot of the steel stoves have lifetime warranties. Is this true? and will I need to replace or repair the stove in 5 to 10 years? Thanks

I believe that the Jotul insert is a steel stove box with a cast iron front. But if you look at the way the new Jotul freestanding stoves are put together, they are using a superior form of cement that seems to be standing up well. Other cast iron stoves are gasketed at the seams. So, I wouldn't worry about it. Get the stove you like.

BG is correct - Jotul (and most) inserts that have cast fronts are hybrids, with some cast and some steel.

One material is not superior to the other - it is specific stove design that is important!

Do not use the warranty length as a reason for a purchase. When push comes to shove, these warranties mean very little. They often have many "outs" for the manufacturer and don't include labor. Many are also prorated. In my opinion, any stove with a 3 year or longer COMPLETE warranty is very well covered.

Keep in mind that most companies which offer lifetime warranties have not been in business long......I have seen hundreds of stove companies close up. Jotul has been around since 1853.

Thanks for the information BeGreen and Craig. This site has been great in all my research needs. I figured that Jotul has been around since 1853 for a reason and from what I have read here there seems to be a lot of happy Jotul owners out there. Thanks guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.