Cast Iron vs. Steel

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ghettontheball said:
Jags said:
Soap Stone is for carving
Plate steel is for snow plows
Cast Iron is for wood stoves.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I gotz my asbestos undies on. Let me have it.
ur CI stove couldnt exist without steel BOLT & NUTS. asbestos undies for assonfire?

Fixed!

RustyShackleford said:
BrotherBart said:
The thermal conductivity of cast iron and carbon steel are virtually identical.

No doubt, since they are both predominantly iron.

Of course, you also need to look at their specific heat, that is, the amount of energy required
to raise a given mass by a given temperature (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Specific_heat_capacity),
but I would be astonished if they were very different (between cast-iron and steel) either.

So these reported differences are undoubtably due to differences in the overall mass, as well as
the thickness of the walls, of stoves made using the two materials.

Since my new BK Princess (if it ever arrives) will be almost exactly the same mass as my old
Dutchwest, I have confidence it'll store a similar amount of heat in its mass. Of course, since
its dimensions will be larger, it probably does have thinner walls on average.

A wikipedia reference...
OMG
I read it on the internet it must be true!

Status
Not open for further replies.