Cast Pellet stove...why?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drtnshtr

Jan 26, 2008
Ohio
Whats the purpose of making a Cast Pellet stove? Do they radiate alot of heat also?

The differences in radiation between steel and cast iron is negligeable with regards to wood/pellet stoves.
The cast ones usually are more intricate and tend to be more attractive and more costly.

drtnshtr said:
Whats the purpose of making a Cast Pellet stove? Do they radiate alot of heat also?

My Lopi Leyden gets really hot when it's up to temp, lots of radiant heat.

My Quadra-Fire Castile insert provides virtually no radiant heat except a little off the glass. I just like the looks of the cast stoves. Looks a lot like the Jotul Castine it replaced.

Gio said:
The differences in radiation between steel and cast iron is negligeable with regards to wood/pellet stoves.
The cast ones usually are more intricate and tend to be more attractive and more costly.
The only difference I can tell so far between my whitfield and my vermont castings is I can move the whitfield myself and it takes 4 guys to move the vermont.

That's the main idea.

Cast ion boilers last up to 30 years or more, steal boilers will last 10 to 20 years, so a cast iron pellet stove life span is longer than a steel pellet stove.

Hoverfly said:
Cast ion boilers last up to 30 years or more, steal boilers will last 10 to 20 years, so a cast iron pellet stove life span is longer than a steel pellet stove.

I have a cast iron pellet pot, does that count.

Hoverfly said:
That`s normally true with the exception of the old GE round steel boilers.
I`ve seen some of those that lasted more than 30 yrs. Here`s one that went more than 50 yrs : http://www.phcnews.com/may_07/cover_story.php
Actually some quality steel stoves can take more abuse than cast iron ones. I`ve seen some castings burned clear through on stoves as well as warped steel stoves too.
Steel stoves don`t crack when you accidently pour water on them and they don`t crack when you strike em with a hammer.(but who would do that?)
Another benefit of steel is you don`t have to reseal the joints after a few years of use or because they opened up when you moved it . I`d not buy another cast iron wood stove again but maybe a cast iron pellet stove .
But the OP wasn`t asking about boilers or wood stoves , was he.

For looks.

Eric

They have a purdy lips....or they look nice for those of you that haven't seen the Deliverance...

Gio said:
Ho said:
That`s normally true with the exception of the old GE round steel boilers.
I`ve seen some of those that lasted more than 30 yrs. Here`s one that went more than 50 yrs : http://www.phcnews.com/may_07/cover_story.php
Actually some quality steel stoves can take more abuse than cast iron ones. I`ve seen some castings burned clear through on stoves as well as warped steel stoves too.
Steel stoves don`t crack when you accidently pour water on them and they don`t crack when you strike em with a hammer.(but who would do that?)
Another benefit of steel is you don`t have to reseal the joints after a few years of use or because they opened up when you moved it . I`d not buy another cast iron wood stove again but maybe a cast iron pellet stove .
But the OP wasn`t asking about boilers or wood stoves , was he.

Your 50 year old GE boiler is not as efficient as a newer Budarus cast iron boiler rated at 86 percent now is it? Cast iron if not over fired lasts for a much longer time, it has durability again if not over fired. Personally I would not want to be around people who do not know how to operate any kind of wood product stove as you described. What about old pot belly coal/wood stoves you still see those once in a while, as a mater of fact I know who owns one! There made out of cast iron, old fashion cooking stoves are still around, there made out of cast iron. I seen a few still working antique as wood burners, some of them corverted to gas. One argument steel Vs cast iron is by the time the steel wears out something new has come around with better efficiency. Two things I can think of that steel has over cast iron.......taking apart an old cast iron boiler and taking it out side after going up a flight of stairs, I rather take apart a steel boiler, and lug that out side, steel is lighter and cheaper. Personally I prefer cast iron durability if I can afford it, steel for cost.

slls said:
Hoverfly said:

I have a cast iron pellet pot, does that count.

As long the pot is not over fired, it will last for a long time.

I have to admit it is very purdy:)....but it is soooooo heaveee:(

With my cast iron hastings it is purely asthetics. In about 3 minutes I can strip the top and side panels off exposing a very plain, cheap looking stove.
I doubt the cast is going to do anything to improve the longevity of the stove, but we like the looks.

The Castile insert doesn't radiate? Wow, my folks must have gotten a good one then! I plant my butt on the lid every time I go over to blow snow, I'm done warming up in 5 minutes, warm butt even when it has shut down 20 minutes before. Must not be radiate heat that is warming my butt, huh? Cast iron holds heat longer, same as soap stone on a wood burner. The question is how physics moves the heat from the stove to the air, either via the stove structure or via the convection air. I don't think a tin foil stove that may move a ton of heat immediately could be run safely at that high of temp, rather than a stove that heats at a lower constant temp that heats the stove body itself and then slowly 'radiates' the heat. It's the difference between hot water radiators with 130 degree water vs fin tube at 180 degrees and how quick you can move the btu's. Just my HO. My free standing Castile will have the top and sides too hot to touch for more than a few seconds after running full bore for a few hours.

we also got the cast empress purely for looks, because it looks more like a wood stove.

free standing Enviro Empress radiates quite a bit on heat setting two. This actually works pretty efficiently down to about an overnight low of 35 - 40 degrees. It will heats my 1900 sq ft two story house.

At heat levels 3 - 5 the fan speed tends to cool the stove off so most of the heat is being blown into the room & there isn't much radiation. Within a certain temperature range, I think it actually heats more efficiently & burns fewer pellets at the lower setting, due to the hotter temperature of the cast iron.

I like the cast stoves because of the looks.
Most have a traditional wood stove look to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.