casters on a pallet?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cac4

Jul 11, 2008
Essex County, MA
thinking of storing pellets under the basement stairs. The house is a center-entrance colonial...rectangular in shape...stairways go right down the middle of the house...basement is unfinished, so the stairs are very basic, go straigt from high to low, and the space under them is open on all sides. So there's room for 2 pallets to sit on the floor under there, but the one closest to the bottom of the stairs would be difficult to reach. I was thinking of putting the heaviest castering wheels I can find onto a pallet, and stacking bags of pellets on that...then I could just roll it under the stairs. It would easily slide out when I need to access the pellets. (bending and reaching to get under the stairs would be very bad/dangerous for my back).

think this would work?

well, thats kind of the idea of screwing caster wheels to the bottom of a pallet. The pallet being so much larger than those dollies, I don't think it would be very stable if it was sitting on one or even 2 of those.

(the pallet I have sitting here now ain't "flimsy"; maybe because it was originally holding up concrete patio blocks. )

my stove is sitting on one of those dollies right now, as a matter of fact. at only 350 lbs, it still doesn't roll easily. this dolly has a 600lb rating. I should've used the bigger one I have...which I used once to move a piano).

cac4 said:
well, thats kind of the idea of screwing caster wheels to the bottom of a pallet. The pallet being so much larger than those dollies, I don't think it would be very stable if it was sitting on one or even 2 of those.

(the pallet I have sitting here now ain't "flimsy"; maybe because it was originally holding up concrete patio blocks. )

my stove is sitting on one of those dollies right now, as a matter of fact. at only 350 lbs, it still doesn't roll easily. this dolly has a 600lb rating. I should've used the bigger one I have...which I used once to move a piano).

Bigger is always better as far as rigging equipment goes... ;-)

Most of the skids I run into are built pretty cheaply, but are really designed for one time use. The block pallet is probably strong enough, but you might consider the plywood idea to spread the weight around.

Good casters aren't cheap, unless you already have them. You are going to need a 500+ pound rating for that ton of pellets. A ton is a lot of weight to be reckoned with and is easily 2-4 times the weight of a piano. If you really want to move this amount of weight, dollies are hard to beat.

Chris

well, really, what I'm talking about is making a dolly out of a pallet. maybe I would be better off to make 2 out of a single pallet. (cut it in half) Wouldn't want it to do a whole ton, anyway...half at most...probably less. I just want to be able to use that otherwise "dead" space under the bottom of the stairs, where they come down low. So the bags would only be stacked 1 or 2 high on one side...3 or 4 on the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.