Castile and Santa Fe Owners: Does your convection blower make a subtle high pitched sound?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dwig

Dec 4, 2014
New Haven, Connecticut
This is my second year burning, and I've always noticed that my convection blower usually makes a subtle high pitched whir sound, although sometimes I can't hear it. I wouldn't call it a whine and definitely not a squeal, but it is coming from the motor or bearings themselves rather than the whoosh of the blown air.

My question is, is it typical to hear the convection blower motor/bearings? Last year the dealer basically shrugged his shoulders and said that stoves make different noises, and that nothing's the matter unless it's loud, but now I'm starting to wonder if I can get rid of it. It is too bad there are no ports for adding oil to the bearings, which would be a simple test.

It would be worth it to me to order a new blower if it meant that I wouldn't hear the motor anymore. But if this is normal, I'm fine with that too.

Thanks in advance.

I would say more a vibration whine then the bearings, but just guessing without hearing it. I can get a similar noise on my stove also once in a while, and it is vibration. They are sealed bearings, but you can try a little wd40 in the right spots, to see if it quiets it down. The fan is easy enough to take out. kap

Reactions: DMKNLD
Quads in general seem to be bad on harmonic vibrations, squeaks, and rattles ! Like you and kap I also get a periodic variable harmonic vibration out of the convection blower. I put new composite washers on the blower motor mounts, which helped, as does keeping the squirrel cage fans clean of our long-haired cat hair balls that seem to unbalance the impeller fins enough to cause a vibration.

I find that generalized stove vibrations seem to be transferred and magnified through the cast top on my Castile. So I put some small pieces of the heavy duty female side sticky-backed velcro on the 4 small tabs that the cast top sits on, that helped tighten up the cast top fit and dampen the vibration noises. Your Castile insert likely has a different way the top sits on the stove than my free standing model, so that may not be applicable to yours.

Cheers, DK

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: kappel15
I think you two are right - probably a vibration. I took the blower out and squirted some graphite on the bearings to see if that would do anything. It didn't, not to my surprise.

I used to get a deeper vibration coming from the stove, which was resonating in the stove base behind the convection blower. I put two bricks right in the middle of that surface, and the deep vibration went away. I think I started hearing the higher pitched vibration after that. Funny.

It's not a big deal anyway. Thanks for helping me figure this out.

Reactions: kappel15 and DMKNLD
With all the differential heating / cooling cycles, in conjunction with the differing metal components of the shrouding, the cast components, the blower motors, etc, it seems that pellet stoves in general are destined to be a hot harmonic / vibrating / rattling / squeaking mess ! :cool:

But one other thing Dwig I remember I did to reduce the harmonics and vibrations was to level the stove with my carpenter's level by adjusting the screw in / screw out stove feet, and then putting felt furniture washers under the feet. I found the stove was transferring vibrations thru the stove legs down to the hearth pad tiles that the feet sit on. My hardwood flooring and sub-floor under the hearth pad is typical of most all circa 1800's New England farmhouse and was over a half bubble off of being level in the corner where the stove sits. What's the DIY home builder's rationale / excuse, "well, you gotta have somewhere for the cat pee to run to". :)

So the stove was apparently 'unbalanced' enough sitting on the uneven floor / hearth pad surface, that it contributed to the audible vibrations. Depending on what your stove is sitting on and making contact with in your fireplace, you may try checking to see if it is on level.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to have the right back brick vibrate till it got enough ash around it. I used to take a small washer and wedge it between it and the frame to stop it. And being level will help the noise. I have a base on my Sante Fe (they just use a top) and I think this helps eliminate some vibration. kap

Mine (quadrafire Castile Insert) doesn't seem to make a high pitched whining sound, but I did have vibration. I found that that it was the metal surround vibrating. In order to fix it I took it off (only 4 bolts) and added rubber washers to the metal ones. Also, I took the surround apart and siliconed the seams and put it back together, and probably the biggest thing was to put rubber chair pads on the backside of the metal surround where it contacts the wall. Once I did that, almost all of the vibration went away. I still might put felt pads under the adjusting bolts on the bottom rear too, but who knows, it's pretty quiet now...

Mine (quadrafire Castile Insert) doesn't seem to make a high pitched whining sound, but I did have vibration. I found that that it was the metal surround vibrating. In order to fix it I took it off (only 4 bolts) and added rubber washers to the metal ones. Also, I took the surround apart and siliconed the seams and put it back together, and probably the biggest thing was to put rubber chair pads on the backside of the metal surround where it contacts the wall. Once I did that, almost all of the vibration went away. I still might put felt pads under the adjusting bolts on the bottom rear too, but who knows, it's pretty quiet now...

Thanks Jonkman - that confirms my suspicion that the high pitched sound is not inherent in all castile blowers. I also noticed that I can hear something rubbing when I slowly rotate the blades with my finger, which I don't think I could last year. I'm going to try to work in some 3-in-1 oil and see if that gets to whatever is rubbing.

Thanks Jonkman - that confirms my suspicion that the high pitched sound is not inherent in all castile blowers. I also noticed that I can hear something rubbing when I slowly rotate the blades with my finger, which I don't think I could last year. I'm going to try to work in some 3-in-1 oil and see if that gets to whatever is rubbing.

I found this guy's site online, and he has a video on youtube discussing why the castile blower can fail, etc. He sells one he states is better quality (enclosed motor, etc.) than the standard. He seems legit, and his prices aren't bad. I haven't ordered from him before, not endorsing, just seems like he knows what he is talking about. You can even call him and he will help you troubleshoot over the phone no charge I guess.

http://www.pelletstovepro.com/

ebay store : http://www.ebay.com/itm/Quadrafire-Pellet-Exhaust-Combustion-Blower-Castile-w-Gasket-/140513365822

Watch the video on his ebay item above about Castile Blowers

I like that guy's style! Unfortunately he only makes a combustion blower for the castile, and not a convection blower.

I like that guy's style! Unfortunately he only makes a combustion blower for the castile, and not a convection blower.

It looks like there are stove parts retailers selling Quad convection blowers that replace the 812-4900 as well as the 812-4540 OEM part #'s. But I read some customer review complaints that the replacement blowers they bought on-line were only rated to 2300 rpm instead of the 3000 rpm rating of the original convection motor, which would significantly reduce the cfm output. So if you're planning on replacing the convection blower make sure it is rated to 3000 rpm.

2 burn seasons back I found that one of my fan fins had split on the outside ring that the fins connect to, causing it to rub against the fan housing and vibrate the motor assembly. I found out that Quad doesn't market replacement "squirrel cage" impeller fans, even though they are separate removable parts held on with just a spring clip retainer, and that I would need to buy the whole new blower motor and impeller fan assembly.

Having less than 3 positive thoughts for paying $165 - $200 for a new convection motor assembly, I Macgyver-ed it using a metal twist tie with the paper covering stripped off to 'splint' the broken fan ring back together, and so far it has held with no audible vibration issues. But I know it's on 'borrowed-time' being that it is the original 14 y/o convection motor. Watch it fail on me tomorrow now that I said that !

Having less than 3 positive thoughts for paying $165 - $200 for a new convection motor assembly, I Macgyver-ed it using a metal twist tie with the paper covering stripped off to 'splint' the broken fan ring back together, and so far it has held with no audible vibration issues. But I know it's on 'borrowed-time' being that it is the original 14 y/o convection motor. Watch it fail on me tomorrow now that I said that !

here you go - under 80$

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Heat-N-Glo-...084573?hash=item1a0969e51d:g:jKcAAOSwZVhWTEyA

Hey Dwig,

Guess what started happening....I and my wife have noticed a high pitched whine has started recently when on high (which ours is most of the time). It almost sounds like a constant beep from electronics, but its isn't....It's not annoying yet, and it's under warranty for another 1.5 years. I think I may try and go through this season and have it replaced under warranty in the spring. We were good for a few months...(it was new last spring, so this is our first winter using it every day).

Status
Not open for further replies.