castile and thermostat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

txiko

Dec 29, 2007
metrowest ma
I have a question. I set the thermostat and the stove stops when reached the temperature.
How long will it take to re start? I can see the red light asking for heat, should I press the reset button? I have pressed the reset button and it doesn't start. I can see the igniter red and nothing happens, any help? Sorry but this stove is driving me crazy.Thanks

It is my understanding that the reset button shuold only be used when the stove runs out of fuel, it basically just runs the auger longer to prime the auger tube with fuel. On my, it takes a couple of resets to do this, one a minute or so in from starting the stove, another push a couple minutes after that, but again only when the stove runs dry. The red light will be on as long as the stat is calling for heat. Is fuel dropping (ie auger working)? Sounds like the ignitor is getting hot, are the pot openings by the ignitor clear and is it correctly placed in the stove?

The stove was running perfect, but this morning when I got up the temperature was around 70, I turn the thermostat down and after a while it stops, now it doesn't start again. I can see the red light that is telling me that is asking for heat, and I saw the igniter turning red, but not flames. Thanks

so thermostat calls for heat, the stove clicks on, pellets fall into burnpot, igniter starts glowing but the pellets never start burning? Are the holes in the burnpot on the igniter side plugged? When you turn the tstat down does the stove shut off completely?

They are pellets in the fire pot, the tstat ask for heat and the holes are open. The stove shuts off completely after a while.
Like I said it was running good till I set the tstat lower.

If the ignitor is glowing red and you have fuel in the pot, I would guess the placement of the ignitor on the pot is not close enough to the pot to ignite the fuel or the slots in the pot are plugged. Note that there are slots in the front bottom of the pot for the ignitor, we're not talking the typical burn pot holes that you can see looking in the pot. If you didn't change anything other than the stat, I'd guess plugged slots and not the placement of the ignitor, but it doesn't help to check that the ignitor isn't loose. You can check this from the ash pan opening.

Turning down the thermostat could be just coincidence. moralleper's suggestion is correct. If there are pellets in the burn pot and the ignitor is glowing red, then the heat from the ignitor is not getting to the pellets. This can be because of a clogged burn pot, a big clinker blocking the heat from the pellets or possibly not enough pellets dropping into the burnpot due to bridging or another jam. Are these the same pellets that were giving you a problem a couple days ago? If yes, I would get another brand, the best you can find, and try out a few bags of them to see if this is the issue.

Thanks for the help.
I will look into the burn pot( I'm not at home now)to be sure that is not clogged.
BG, I'm using now a different type of pellets, these were doing great.

Has this been an intermittant ongoing problem? Could it be possible the ignitor is not correctly mounted, ie not close enough to the pot? Makes me wonder, that could cause random no fires and be affected by pellet quality (dryer would light easier).

If the red call light is on, then the thermostat is working fine. It is just a simple on off switch. When you push the reset button, that initiates a start cycle. A few seconds after you push the button you should see pellets dropping into the burn pot for about 8 seconds. If not, you know the drill from a couple days ago. If they are dropping, focus on the burn pot.

Up and running again. The problem was at the fire pot, was full of pellets, clinkers etc, I didn't clean the
holes when I had the problems with the pellets a few days ago. Thanks for all the help.

I spoke too soon. I really don't know what is going on, it stops again, it is not getting pellets I'm totally lost and I'm
starting to hate the stove. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Can you please clarify what the issue is? you said before that the pellets would drop into the pot when the tstat called for heat, is this not the case?

I have the stove running again. The problem this time was a snap disc, I had to reset it. If possible, does anybody know why the snap disc tripped? Can be a defective disc? If I have to replace it, what number will be 1, 2 or 3? (The disc is the one located above the grey control box). Thanks and sorry if I'm bothering.

Moralleper, I'm confused too. After I did what you and BG told me(clean the fire pot) the stove was running good for at least three hours, then stops and I saw no pellets dropping into the pot. I got it going resetting the snap disc that was tripped.

Tx, do you have the manual? It tells which snap does what, it's available on Quad's site if not. Dumb question, but are you 'dumping' the pot when you clean it, ie pulling the handle on the front lower left under the ash shelf to open the bottom of the pot? Does it open somewhat easy and are you closing it all the way? Not bothering anyone I don't think, just hard to figure out what's up if the stove isn't right in front of us, and you've had a mixed bag thus far. Don't hate the stove, we love ours and many people do, just have to figure out what's going on. When it stops, is it trying to ignite again?

Sounds like you need a pro to come service it and teach you how to clean it up yourself.

If the snap disc trips it is usually for a reason. If you have to reset it more than once something is probably wrong. How high have you adjusted the feed rate? Have you ever removed all the baffles and done a full cleaning? Swept the chimney? Does the ash dump close fully? Does it stick a lot? How old is it, and about how many tons has it burned? I have seen many many abused and neglected stoves. I would say about 90% of the problems I encounter with Pellet units is from lack of maintenance, or abuse.

GTH, I have the manual, I believe is the number 2, which I think it controls the vacuum. I pull the handle and it is easy and it close all the way.
I do not hate it, actually I love it but I get mad. Thanks for the help.

jtp10181, I have removed all the baffles and done a full cleaning, the ash dump close fully etc. All the problems start after I did a full cleaning and use a different brand of pellets. I will call the pro tomorrow if the snap disc trips again.

Snap #2 is the hi-temp thermostatic overide. This means that the stove is going over temp. jtp is correct, this should not be happening. The likely cause is blockage in the combustion exhaust path. Perhaps some part of the exhaust cleaning was missed or skipped?

I'm going to put the exhaust system apart and if I don't see anything I will call the pro. So far it is running for more than 9 hours.

Go by the book as far as the stove goes, then move on to the flue. How is the exhaust pipe run? Are there any elbows? That can be an accumulation point.

Status
Not open for further replies.