castile ash pan door latch assembly incorrect

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firewarrior820

Feeling the Heat
Aug 26, 2008
auburn maine
Visit site
I noticed my clean out door had play in it ,so i took a look at how it was assembled
seemed like the latch was to far out to catch correctly.
took it apart and reassembled it spacer ,latch ,spacer, nut. now it closes tight no more play.
anyone else have this issue?

I have the same issue with my Castile, but I don't notice any problem associated with it. I'm more plagued with Athens pellets that do not slide down in the hopper on their own, despite the hopper being full. Unless I open the hopper door about every two hours and use my hand to rake the pellets toward the augur location in the hopper, the augur runs out of pellets and the stove goes out, despite the hopper being about 3/4 full. My other issue has been an endless supply of clinkers using Athens pellets. I have to clean out the ash pot about every 14 hours due to clinker build up that causes erratic flame and roaring noise. -Paul

I have the same thing on my Castile but looks like its not a problem . You might want to check the two bolts that hold the burn pot in place mine was loose enough I could slide the pot back and fourth. I tighten the bolts and think I am getting a better burn. Will know later just cleaned stove and tightened the bolts. I have used silicone spray on my pellet hopper and still have to push the last 1/4 of pellets down by hand. Working on something tat will make it slicker thinking some type of wax that will last.

I tried repositioning the washers on the ash door, tightening the fire-pot bolts and spraying the hopper with silicone earlier today. The fire now burns more evenly but more importantly, hotter than it did. I haven't used a thermometer, but just holding my hands in front of the air discharge produces a noticeable difference. I'm not sure about the impact of the silicone, but I think it's better. I'll check it out over night. Thanks again, all. -Paul

Yes I have noticed this on our showroom display. I don't know if they use random different parts on some or what? Not sure if it was our display or not but I have tried flipping stuff around once and it was either so tight you couldn't latch it or so sloppy it didn't pull tight. I gave up after that.

azwormguy said:
I have the same thing on my Castile but looks like its not a problem . You might want to check the two bolts that hold the burn pot in place mine was loose enough I could slide the pot back and fourth. I tighten the bolts and think I am getting a better burn. Will know later just cleaned stove and tightened the bolts. I have used silicone spray on my pellet hopper and still have to push the last 1/4 of pellets down by hand. Working on something tat will make it slicker thinking some type of wax that will last.
Well you could try to soak all your pellets in WD-40 for a few hours b4 you dump them in the hopper, they should SLIDE down fairly quick that way...LOL.
Yes, the Castile has a very small hopper which seems to need to be redesigned for better gravity flow to the auger.

paulf6 said:
I have the same issue with my Castile, but I don't notice any problem associated with it. I'm more plagued with Athens pellets that do not slide down in the hopper on their own, despite the hopper being full. Unless I open the hopper door about every two hours and use my hand to rake the pellets toward the augur location in the hopper, the augur runs out of pellets and the stove goes out, despite the hopper being about 3/4 full. My other issue has been an endless supply of clinkers using Athens pellets. I have to clean out the ash pot about every 14 hours due to clinker build up that causes erratic flame and roaring noise. -Paul
I don't think it is the Athens causing the problem of not sliding or the endless clinker supply,,, I have the same issues using Lignetics pellets. I just get in the habit of opening the hopper door each time I am near and PUSHING the darn pellets down by hand.
As for clinkers, I have to clean my ash pot every 6-8 hours or I get to hear that annoying FREIGHT train sound that comes from the fire starving for air. (I suppose that's why it roars). Seems like the hardened ash blocks several of the intake bore holes and fire goes NUTS and voices it's opinion in the form of a house rockin rumble.

CenterTree said:
paulf6 said:
I don't think it is the Athens causing the problem of not sliding or the endless clinker supply,,, I have the same issues using Lignetics pellets. I just get in the habit of opening the hopper door each time I am near and PUSHING the darn pellets down by hand.
As for clinkers, I have to clean my ash pot every 6-8 hours or I get to hear that annoying FREIGHT train sound that comes from the fire starving for air. (I suppose that why it roars). Seems like the hardened ash blocks several of the intake boar holes and fire goes NUTS and voices it's opinion in the form of a house rockin rumble.

I agree, CenterTree, that Athens pellets aren't THE problem, but they're a big part of it. I had used scotchbrite on the hopper and it was working better, but the Athens made it significantly worse. I have now used #1 steel wool, and the situation has improved. I'm going to buy some #0000 today and see if it gets any better.

Sorry, I have no help on the door problem, mine came properly assembled.

Status
Not open for further replies.