Castile Cleaning question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KMD7191

Oct 12, 2009
Northern NJ
I am attempting to clean my castile for the second time this season. The first time I had hired someone to clean it. I can't seem to remove the fire bricks to clean the heat exchange tubes. I was only able to remove the right side. I took both allen screws out and the back brick and top bricks are loose but wont come out. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

what year Castile and free standing or insert.. U should not need to remove any screws to clean your tubes

2003 free standing castile. I am trying to remove all of the ceramic fire bricks to clean the stove. The bricks seem to be locked in like a puzzle. The only one i was able to remove was the right one.

There is a stainless steel plate in the top of the fire chamber, you have to remove this FIRST. Towards the front of the stove, there is a lever, you need to push that, and then slide the plate forward, and it will drop down. It should tell you this in the owners manual? If you don't have one, you can find it on quadrafire's website..........

I do not see a stainless steel plate anywhere on in the stove. The are ceramic firebricks on the right, left, top and back. The ceramic brick on the back has two allen screws holding it in. I removed them and it seemed to loosed the bricks up but they are still not coming out. I do not see any levers inside the stove.

You can find the manual here look under product details install manual

http://www.quadrafire.com/Products/Castile-Pellet-Stove.aspx#

Look at page 32 fig 33.2 the plate below heat tubes is held by this latch.

Page 38
plates just pull up and out to clean Item No. 49 and 50 no screws to remove
hope this helps

The two plates one on either side remove and the skinny middle one with the screw stays there. There is a top stainless steel plate that covers the tubes and goes down close to the back plates. The ONLY thing that keeps the back panels from coming out is the top stainless steel panel. There is a latch assembly in the gap at the front of the stove that you push up...its hidden just feel in the middle at the front of the plate and push it up and slide the top plate towards you. The back panels will come up and out easily after the top one is out.

http://www.quadrafire.com/~/media/Files/Quadrafire/Installation Manuals/man_castile.ashx

There is no stainless steel plate on the top. The top is ceramic fire bricks just like the sides and back. the Back is one solid ceramic fire brick with a square hole in the middle where the pellets feed into the fire pot. I cant seem to find any lever. Not sure of the order the ceramic bricks come out. The top and back are loose but i cant get them out without forcing them.

If i look up into the stove there is just one solid ceramic brick piece(the entire top of the fire box). There is no stainless steel plate and certainly no room to fit my fingers in to look for a latch. I looked online at the manual, but i believe my stove is the older model.

My stove is a 2001 model, first year made, I believe, I have the stainless plate. Can you post pictures of yours????

Another source for help, is IBC (I burn corn) forum. I guy named Kappel15, you can post in the "quadrafire" section, he maybe knows what you have. Not sure why yours is different?.........

KMD7191 said:
I do not see a stainless steel plate anywhere on in the stove. The are ceramic firebricks on the right, left, top and back. The ceramic brick on the back has two allen screws holding it in. I removed them and it seemed to loosed the bricks up but they are still not coming out. I do not see any levers inside the stove.

Are you trying to remove the smaller plate in the middle in the back where the chute comes down? That has screws but you DON'T remove that one. They should just lift up and the outer end pivots toward the back of the stove.

I chatted with Kappel15 on IBC forum he said to let you know the below info................

"tell him some had screws that held them on. might be hard to find without cleaning good and a flashlight. i have a manual from 05 that calls the baffle a "cast" baffle, but have never seen one with a cast baffle".

Status
Not open for further replies.