Castile cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smalltown

Minister of Fire
Oct 1, 2008
Western Maine
I think this post was buried in ordering Quadrafire parts so I hope it's ok to start another thread. Looking for suggestions.

Well I finally received my gasket for the combustion blower so I can do my cleaning. It was raining today so I tore into it!
Since it was my first time, and I didn’t want to remove the piping from the rear of the stove I went very slowly disconnecting the OAK and the vacuum tube to be blown out before reassembly. The convection blower and combustion motor are now separated from the stove for cleaning. Glad I have the replacement combustion gasket in hand as the old one tore easily as I removed the motor.

Doesn’t look to bad, but there was a good buildup of flyash on the rear side of the combustion blower fins between the motor and the fins. The Castile combustion blower fins can be seen and cleaned from the inside of the fire box, but unless you pull the blower out you cannot see this rear buildup. So I am glad I removed it.

My Castile has a clean-out “T” on the rear then vertical about 5’ then a 90 and then out the side of my home.

Having already cleaned my stove pipe from the outside of the house back to my clean-out “T”, and finding the most flyash on the 12” horizontal section going outside, I now want to clean the section from the combustion blower area backwards 12” horizontially to the same clean-out “T’“coming from the stove. I was hoping to push any buildup into the “T” where I could remove it.
I tried using a bottle brush, and it fits into the opening, but it is not long enough to reach upward then turn about 45 deg, and backwards about 12” to the “T”. I tried the 2” brush that came with the “Lint Eater” and I will not make the turn.
I am hoping there is/are member(s) that have cleaned this part of a Castile and can tell me how to do this final leg.

Included is a picture of a combustion motor assembly and you can see at the upper right corner the rectangular opening for the exhaust.
Another picture from the owners manual on how the combustion blower assy. mates with the 45 deg piping to exit the stove where it connects to my clean-out “T”.

Attachments

• Rear castile exhaust parts.jpg
    Rear castile exhaust parts.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 398
  • exhaust motor Castile.jpg
    exhaust motor Castile.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 394
Well today the wife found a fiber brush in Wally World that has about 12" of fiber about 2" thich at its' widest and about 3" of exposed wire before disappearing into the handle. I am able to bend it and get it into the exhaust from the stove end, but it just isn't long enough to push the flyash into the now open clean-out "T".

Thanks I've got a "Lint Eater" myself and think it's great. That's what I used when cleaning from the outside of the house back to the "T". It cleaned beautifully.
I tried the lint eater small 2" round brush but I cannot get the fiberglasss rod to make the turn even while spinning it in the drill. I am starting to think if I was able to get a pull wire/rope in there with an old fashioned snake and tie on a brush maybe I could just work it back and forth. Or even a bottle brush for the Jolly Green Giant might work (think I am getting hungry).
I hate to reinvent the wheel. I thought other Castile owners/techs would be jumping right in with what they used. I can't be the only one cleaning this area or maybe I am? :gulp:

One of my wands is pretty flexible and its not fiberglass. I might have picked it up somewhere. Its been a while. My quad bigE and Omega all have similar area's to clean. I will have to do some digging for ya! Just can't place where I got it?

Edit:I went and looked at my stuff and setup. All the rods are flexible and you can tie them in a knot. I only use the 2 inch brush to clean the area of the combustion blower. I have a double clean out tee and can clean the pipe on the stove.

See attached photo for 3PVP-DBT double clean out tee(not cheap it goes for about $135)

With a standard tee, I think you have to disconnect the pipe from the stove. There isn't any way I know of to get around it. Run your brush thru where the stove connects to the pipe and then run the brush into the stove where the pipe connects.

Hope it helps.

Attachments

• 5SP-3PVP-DBT-lg.jpg
    5SP-3PVP-DBT-lg.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 338
Try stealing your wifes shower loofa "poof" and tie some heavy string to it. Use a stiff garden hose or shop vac hose (something flexible) to push the "Poof" into the pipe or area to clean. Then pull it back out using the string.

Wood Nugget said:
Try stealing your wifes shower loofa "poof" and tie some heavy string to it. Use a stiff garden hose or shop vac hose (something flexible) to push the "Poof" into the pipe or area to clean. Then pull it back out using the string.

I'd be very careful about using something of the wife's with out permission, She is liable to clean the toilet with your tooth brush without telling you as revenge! I have learned to stay on her good side. I don't like the doghouse, Its too cold in winta out there!

On the serious side. The only way to be sure pipe and connector is real clean. Is to separate the pipe and use the brush. I am sure some other members will agree.

Jay I may have misspoken when I used the term fiberglass as it appears to be fiberglass. The flexible rods are the ones that came with my "Lint Eater" It would be interesting if you have one even more flexible.
Nice double clean out "T". I was hoping to avoid disturbing the stove pipe as I have never had any leakage, and was concerned I might have some after moving the piping around. I have read a lot of reports of forum members trying to seal leaks.

Wood Nugget you have me thinking.

If you can't really get to the back of your stove like in my case is there a way to clean that area from the outside ?? Like running a shop vac into the pipeing and feeding it in like that?? Or is it better to use that leaf blower thing you guys were talking about.

smalltown said:
I think this post was buried in ordering Quadrafire parts so I hope it's ok to start another thread. Looking for suggestions.

Well I finally received my gasket for the combustion blower so I can do my cleaning. It was raining today so I tore into it!
Since it was my first time, and I didn’t want to remove the piping from the rear of the stove I went very slowly disconnecting the OAK and the vacuum tube to be blown out before reassembly. The convection blower and combustion motor are now separated from the stove for cleaning. Glad I have the replacement combustion gasket in hand as the old one tore easily as I removed the motor.

Doesn’t look to bad, but there was a good buildup of flyash on the rear side of the combustion blower fins between the motor and the fins. The Castile combustion blower fins can be seen and cleaned from the inside of the fire box, but unless you pull the blower out you cannot see this rear buildup. So I am glad I removed it.

My Castile has a clean-out “T” on the rear then vertical about 5’ then a 90 and then out the side of my home.

Having already cleaned my stove pipe from the outside of the house back to my clean-out “T”, and finding the most flyash on the 12” horizontal section going outside, I now want to clean the section from the combustion blower area backwards 12” horizontially to the same clean-out “T’“coming from the stove. I was hoping to push any buildup into the “T” where I could remove it.
I tried using a bottle brush, and it fits into the opening, but it is not long enough to reach upward then turn about 45 deg, and backwards about 12” to the “T”. I tried the 2” brush that came with the “Lint Eater” and I will not make the turn.
I am hoping there is/are member(s) that have cleaned this part of a Castile and can tell me how to do this final leg.

Included is a picture of a combustion motor assembly and you can see at the upper right corner the rectangular opening for the exhaust.
Another picture from the owners manual on how the combustion blower assy. mates with the 45 deg piping to exit the stove where it connects to my clean-out “T”.

Pull off the motor again and go back towards the T, stick your vac up the bottom of the T

Well the stove was put back together, and while downloading my camera I realized I never reported back so here is my outcome.
First off all I did not need the original gasket that I posted. What I needed was a Quad 812-4710 round gasket. The original posted gasket picture exists, but is buried further behind the motor.
After pulling off the motor here is what I found that I could not see from the front while doing my weekly cleaning. After removing the motor I was able to clean, but with difficulty from the motor area back through the rear of the stove to my clean-out T. I was not able to push any brush that I had through this one area, so I resorted to fishing a nylon rope through then tying a rag by both ends and repeatedly pulling it back and forth. I wish there was a picture or even a drawing of this inside area in the service manual to understand why a brush has such a hard time navigating. Other than that, after thoroughly cleaning the combustion motor and convection fans the stove started up fed pellets and I did a small burn to verify everything was OK. I think I am ready for the upcoming season. Does anybody have a contact number that I could use to call Quadrafire and talk to a real person about cleaning this area of my Castile?

Attachments

• 2010_motor-cleaningA.jpg
    2010_motor-cleaningA.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 237
Status
Not open for further replies.