Castile fire roaring!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smalltown

Minister of Fire
Oct 1, 2008
Western Maine
Well I have been very happy with my new Castile so far, but last Thursday I heared a roaring noise from down the hall and into another room. I ran into the room where my Castile was running and saw the fire was quite high and yes roaring. I am on about my 6th bag so still getting used to it. I watched it for a moment then decided to lower the thermostat all the way and the fire slowly died away and went into its' normal sequence of shutdown. We have only run the stove overnight once before this and we do not feel comfortable doing so again until we our confidence is restored. The next AM I gave it another good cleaning (been keeping up on that) with the exception of not having opened the T connection. I didn't think it would be necessary after only 5 to 6 bags burnt.
The stove has been starting ok and cycling off as it should during the day. It runs most of the day, but if we leave we cycle it off as we want to keep an eyeball on the stove. It ran fine Friday through late Sunday.

This AM my wife started the Castile and within a half hour it was roaring again: the flames are high enough to be reaching the top baffel.
I did observe that the red call light was on, but could not tell if pellets were still dropping as the noise and the size of the fire would not allow that.
I am headed to the dealer today to ask for his assistance. We bought the stove during this past summer so it should be warranty work.
I took a quick look in the firepot and there seems to be a good amount of pellet residue at the bottom. The pellets look a little odd in that they appear to look like small worms. I am guessing that that is just what was left after a really big/hot fire in the pot and then a shutdown? I was tempted to see if it would start and run normally, but decided to let the dealer see the firepot for himself.
Any thoughts?
Mine are: since the stove cycles on and off the thermister must be ok and imagine it must be a control board malfunction that might be instructing the augure to constantly feed pellets or at least more pellets than are needed.
I guessing that the thermister serves a dual function in verifying we have a hot fire at start up and it's ok to continue then to monitor the temperature in the firepot while running to request pellets if the temperature drops below a certain range?
I read where there is a high temp snap disk, but apparently it must take quite high temperatures to trigger this coming into play.

Still like the Castile, just need to get this issue solved sure glad it was a dealer install all the way!

On the rear of the Castille there is a hi/med/lo switch. Could it be the that it is set on high?

Gio. No it's on the low setting. Low has been providing enought heat so far.
Even if it had been the fire was too big it sounded like a jet plane getting ready for take off.

Shut the feed rate down! Inside the hopper, lossen the thumb screw and close it down a bit. It takes 15-20 minutes for the change to show running on high.

GotzTheHotz Thanks.
I would be surprised if it was the feed rate since it has been feeding ok in its present position for at least 4 bags. That said you had me thinking so I opened up the stove top to verify that the feed rod did not loosen up and over feed, but it's ok.
I'd be willing to bet that if I started it up it would work just fine. (for a while or even days).
I wish things would just fail outright these on again off again troubles are to me the hardest to find.

The feed rate is fairly dependent on the fuel size. If the bag you just put in has smaller pellets then you will feed more then the last bag. I try to pay attention to the pellets when I fill the hopper to make sure they are relatively the same size, if not I will adjust accordingly.

The tech who installed my stove (Mt. Vernon) mentioned that if it roars loudly, to make sure the ash pan is seated properly. If it isn't it will draw too much air. Probably some of the guys in here with more experience than me (I literally have about 4 hrs of experience) can comment on this better than me.

My stove on start up reaches the baffle almost every time. I am not concerned because the stove is cold on start up and needs all the heat it can muster.

The stove is programed to run on high until the red light in the control box comes on, about 600 deg F. When the stove red light in the control box comes on the stove goes to medium which is where I set it.
Sometimes the flame on start up does not reach the baffle, it has to do with the auger feed picking up pellets, all auger turns do not feed the same amount every time.

AT night in a dark room on start up it will light up the whole room. I think what you see is normal, maybe someone else will chime in.

I know on my Harman accentra 2 insert I hear a roar every once in a while .It does it when it demands more heat.The flames will hit hi and feather down.After the demand is met it backs down a bit.Next time that happens dont do anything,you will see it correct itself.It is a normal function on my stove.

My problem wasn't that it was reaching the baffel on the 4 minute startup, rather it was later after startup had passed, and was on the low heat position.
I visited the dealer today and he thought it might be fines getting caught in the shute then breaking free and dropping into the lit firepot. My probem with that is I don't think my pellets have many fines. I did take a mirror and looked up the shute and verified everything looked ok. I did mention that the high temp snap cap never trippped so the stove apparenly did not get all that hot, although I do not know just how long it was roaring before I shut it down. He did say if it happens again he will come out and do a full diagnostics on the stove. I didn't think there were any diagnostics on these stoves other than the lights. At least the dealer is aware that I think I am having problems. When I returned home I started the stove ok and it has been running on low for a while now without any issues. So we will keep a very close eye on the stove.
Maybe I should keep a camera handy and take a photo if it occurs again.
Thanks to all that commented.

GotzTheHotz said:
Shut the feed rate down! Inside the hopper, lossen the thumb screw and close it down a bit. It takes 15-20 minutes for the change to show running on high.

If the flame is roaring and hitting the baffle on low, push the feedrate WAY DOWN TO THE LEFT!! With the stove on HIGH, the flame should be about 4" high. As the stove feeds, the flame will go up and down, but on the 'up' side it should be about 1/2 way between the pot and the baffle. You are feeding way too fast! I'm amazed that you haven't tripped out the over heat snap switch since the blower is on low.
I actually had the same thing happen when I started up my Sante Fe for the first time. The feed rate was all the way open. Now it is down to about 1/4 open. Take your time and adjust, wait, wait, wait, adjust,.....................

I have a Sante Fe. It is the same stove as yours,except for looks. My stove does the same thing occasionally. I wouldn't get worried at all. I would clean that stove out real well next time you run out of pellets. Take a vacuum and vacuum the inside of your hopper real well. That will eliminate the fine theory. Then put another bag of pellets into the hopper. Only this time....put the vast majority of the pellets on the front and back left side of the hopper. When you get towards thew end of the bad put the remaining pellets(the part with the fines in it) in the right side. This allows the fines to fines be used last. I always vacuum any fines when it gets that low. During this entire procedure....observe the flame. If it happens again...you know it's not a fines issue. When the hopper is empty, clean the stove and hopper. Adjust the feed rate of your stove, just a little bit. Oh.....only put about a half a bag in this time. This allows you to make adjustments to your feed rate without sifting through the pellets. Honestly....I wouldn't worry about it. These stoves have many safety features. If the flame flares up for a little bit, don't worry.Last but not least....try a bag of different pellets.

I have a castile also. I found the soft wood pellets would make mine roar. The real bad pellets.Like energex corinths etc. My stove likes hamers somersets newp bayous(alot of fines) greenteams sprucepoints rockymontains.With a good pellet your flame should bright yellow and the inside of the stove should look almost look white! I just bought a ton of barefoots i heard they are great. Always keep the inside clean,the tubes inside up top,behind the bricks,and the holes in the firepot.

I think we've been hung up on the roaring, the origin of which no one can really prove, when the real problem/caution is that his feed rate is way, way too high. To have the flame height hitting the baffle when set on LOW is proof of that. On LOW, the flame should barely clear the burn pot as it flares up. He should be setting the feed rate on HIGH so that the flames come up about 4" above the pot and then MEDIUM and LOW will take care of themselves. I think we have pretty well established that the roar, where ever it comes from, is a normal occurrence with the Castile. Both of my inserts do it as a normal event. You have a mini blast furnace in there, after all.

My stove has never roared with hardwood type pellets feed rate does make a differance.LAST year bought a ton of ENERGEX ,feed rate on low stove roared so bad i thought it was going to take off! FIREPOT filled up to where i had to clean it twice a day. When i burned hamers or smersets i did not have to clean the firepot for 3 days. Gave the energex away.

Gipper did yours roar all the time or random like mine?

I had tried to quote another thread in this post but ended up with my original post over there so I have a duplicate post here.

CenterTree - 29 December 2008 11:14 AM
MainePellethead - 29 December 2008 08:57 AM
This is my second season with my Quad Castile. Its pretty simple…when the air holes are blocked and you have the blower on medium or high…its gonna rumble. That TELLS me its time to dump that burn pot. Pellets I burned last year allowed me to go three days without the rumble on the upper 2 fan levels. But this year I’m burning some pellets that are kinda dirty and I pretty much have to dump the pot daily or on the beginning of day 2. But once I dump the pot…I get just as nice of a flame as before I clean it but with NO rumble Basically…I hear the rumble….its the stove saying clean my darn pot out will ya!

This is what I thought too, my Castile would rumble if the burn pot was full with clinkers. So I would empty (clean ) it and the noise would subside. But mine will rumble on ALL settings. Low Med High. What I notice is that if the stove burns uninterrupted, their is no rumble. (just the normal fire noise). Nice continuous burn.
But when the stove shuts down per the thermostat, then upon RESTART it will start again with it’s AWFUL, HOUSE MOVING RUMBLE. this is EVEN if the pot is squeaky clean, or the setting on low). After being shut down for a short time from the thermostat, the stove will then add pellets, smoke a little, then light…. then it will go NUTS. The flame will be so large as to fill the entire box. I mean it will touch ALL four corners and top. This is the time that I (and my heighbors, and probably a few people in Japan) will hear that stupendous RUMBLE . The stove just shakes and carries on for about 20-30 seconds. It sounds like a B52 landing in the living room. [/color]Then the flame will subside and go into and normal burn pattern as if all is well. (UNTIL THE NEXT START UP). I’ve played with the feed rate so many times it doesn’t seem to make a difference. If I close the feed too much more, then my flame height on low will be smaller than a candle. A note,,, if I open the glass door during the LOUD RUMBLE time frame, then the roar will stop for a second as the flames relax. But it will start as soon as I close the door. Also, this noise does not occur at EVERY start up, it just seems random, yet often enough. It is really starting to be an issue with this stove, especially at night as it makes sleeping impossible. I talked to my dealer, he said he never heard of this.?????

gblaue thanks for that link that was a very interesting old post especially the section I quoted above from “Center Tree”.
Most think I should adjust the feed rate, but my stove runs real good most of the time it’s just these (two) so far apparently random real big fire and roaring (almost like the old Ed Sullivan show instead of really big show it’s a realy big fire and roar!)
I have yet to see my problem actual start so I am not sure if it is the same issue that “Center Tree” posted but it sure sounds like it. I wish he were still posting so I could give him a call. It may well be that my problem occured on a restart and I was not there to notice it happen.

Can I hazard a novice guess? Because my issue is random what if just before the thermostat turned off the call light the augure had just dumped a good number of pellets (you know how sometimes it drops a few and other times a lot) then went into shutdown. If these last pellets were not completely burned and upon the next call for heat the stove dumps in its’ good share of startup pellets might there be a “random” time when I have too many pellets in the pot and have the accompaning “Ed Sullivan Fire” (really big fire) untill these pellets burned down? Center Tree stated after waiting 20-30 seconds his burt down to a normal fire. I am not so sure I have the courage to last that long given the noise and size of the fire, but I may try to steel myself for the 30 seconds to see if it clears. The problem is catching a random occurance.

This would only happen with poor grade pellets. I try to find 100% hardwood pellets that give high btu's.I bought barefoots 100% premium plus hardwood. The shop said 9200 btu,s.

I have a castile also, it used to make a loud roar until i fixed the play i had in the clean out door the factory had assemble the latch incorrectly.
The door had play in it ,no more play no more roar,my experience yours may differ

firewarrior820 said:
I have a castile also, it used to make a loud roar until i fixed the play i had in the clean out door the factory had assemble the latch incorrectly.
The door had play in it ,no more play no more roar,my experience yours may differ

I think that exactly it. It all depends where it pulls it combustion air from. If it doesn't pull it through the burn pot, it roars, rumbles.

GIPPER said:
This would only happen with poor grade pellets. I try to find 100% hardwood pellets that give high btu's.I bought barefoots 100% premium plus hardwood. The shop said 9200 btu,s.

Don't know anything about your stove, But I gotta say, them barefoots must be some damn good, or your shop tells a REEEAAL good tale. 9200 from a hardwood pellet, let's just say I'm a tad skeptikal

I'm saying feed rate too. Once my feed rate was set correctly I would only get a roar if I hit the reset button too many times on a cold start and filled the pot too much. It sounds to me like it is feeding too many pellets. The feed rate needs to be adjusted for the fuel you are burning. I had to lower the feed rate this year when I changed over from Lignetics to Barefoots. As suggested by others back the feed rate down till flames average 4 or so inches out of the burnpot on high. It's normal for this to fluctuate so just look for average 4 inches. Do this and medium and low will take care of themselves. Push the rod downleft a half inch at a time and give the stove about 20 minutes on high to change the feed. Once you get it dialed in it should be set for your current fuel brand. If you change brands you may need to re-adjust.

One other thought, could it be an igniter issue? Maybe the igniter is out of position or something and the stove is filling too much before firing. Hitting my reset button too many times after I let it run out of pellets is the only time I have seen anything close to what you describe. Each reset dumps a bunch of pellets. Too many and the stove growls with tall flames. If you are sure is not the feed rate check the igniter. Maybe you could post a picture of it.

Groundhog said:
I'm saying feed rate too. Once my feed rate was set correctly I would only get a roar if I hit the reset button too many times on a cold start and filled the pot too much. It sounds to me like it is feeding too many pellets. The feed rate needs to be adjusted for the fuel you are burning. I had to lower the feed rate this year when I changed over from Lignetics to Barefoots. As suggested by others back the feed rate down till flames average 4 or so inches out of the burnpot on high. It's normal for this to fluctuate so just look for average 4 inches. Do this and medium and low will take care of themselves. Push the rod downleft a half inch at a time and give the stove about 20 minutes on high to change the feed. Once you get it dialed in it should be set for your current fuel brand. If you change brands you may need to re-adjust.

Thanks Groundhog! I didn't think anyone was listening. I'm new to this whole thing but that is the first thing I did, especially when the fire was roaring and the pellets were disappearing at an ALARMING rate. :eek:)

Status
Not open for further replies.