Castile fluctuation of heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Themlruts

Sep 16, 2012
I have a new castile stove. I have some weird issues with my stove.
I am using a meat thermometer to measure the heat output. I know this is not a true measure since the probe is sitting in the pipe touching metal.
The stove doesn't seem to keep a steady amount of heat out and or flame The temp can range from 150F up to 220F I am measuring while on high. I have also played with feed rate. I have run from full open to closed and everything in between.

Some of the symptoms I see is that the stove doesn't seem to feed pellets at the right time. Meaning that the fire in the pot will almost be out before it feeds. Also there will be just a little flame in the pot and the pellets will drop and put the flame out. I don't know if that makes sense.

I also measured my exhaust temp infrared thermo meter and it was around 208F. What should the temp be?

I am not new to quads. In my previous house I had classic bay 1200. I loved that stove.

Thanks
Mike

Variation in temps at the front vents is considerable depending on how clean the stove is, what part of the burn cycle it is in...I have done a lot of measurement with mine and basically gave up because it was so inconsistent......typically mine was around 140F a few inches from the stove itself, but as I said every time I measured it it varied considerably.

You should make sure the control box is set properly for your stove...the default for Castile free standing is setting 4 ( Insert is 6) see below: Control Box Settings-1.jpg Control Box Settings-2.jpg

I checked the contol box and it was set correctly. I did some playing around and set it to 5. It seems to run better and creates more heat. I read some where that the +10 helps
MIke

You need to adjust the fuel gate in the hopper, the correct procedure is in the manual.

The stove must also have good gaskets and be fairly clean.

Basically it is an air fuel mixture issue, so anything that impacts air flow through the stove or the fuel being fed. Will cause an up and down in the flame level and thus the heat coming out of the convection side of the stove and the exhaust. This is not a set and forget item each new brand/batch of fuel will need adjustment as they vary.

The stove doesn't seem to keep a steady amount of heat out and or flame The temp can range from 150F up to 220F I am measuring while on high. I have also played with feed rate. I have run from full open to closed and everything in between.
Some of the symptoms I see is that the stove doesn't seem to feed pellets at the right time. Meaning that the fire in the pot will almost be out before it feeds. Also there will be just a little flame in the pot and the pellets will drop and put the flame out. I don't know if that makes sense.
I also measured my exhaust temp infrared thermo meter and it was around 208F. What should the temp be?

The stove should feed pellets at very regular time intervals. It won't feed the same amount of pellets each time, but you should hear the auger turn. I think a build-up of fines in the auger seems to worsen the inconsistent feeds.

In terms of the fire almost going out or pellet drops extinguishing the flames... I only see that when I run on Low, especially on start-up. (The manual says to start on High. I usually start it on Medium and have no problems.)

themlruts I agree with Smokey. Not knowing what pellets your burning I would suggest that you try a few bags of different pellets. You will be surprised at how different the stove performs with a good pellet.

I think that most Castile owners would agree that we run on medium most of the time. The low setting doesn't seem to produce much heat, and the flame height swings up and down considerably, plus soot on the glass seems to develop quicker..
My stove on medium still has a varying flame height as the number of pellets dropping on each pulse of the augur varies. Occasionally I crack my stove up to high. but not often.

Hello

Also as a quality control check, I would pull the auger and check for any burrs or pox (sharp drops of slag that shreads pellets!). Quad augers are usually pretty good, but you never know if you have auger pox unless you look!

Status
Not open for further replies.