1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Castile I felt that something wasn't right.

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by smalltown, Apr 14, 2013.

1. smalltown

smalltown Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western Maine
    I was seeing more than the usual ash left over after a burn, and it failed to start more often. It still was running ok, but I had that nagging feeling. I have been doing my cleaning including the leaf blower, but my reassuring telltale whistle after cleaning was absent. Last evening while the stove was running I checked the firepot to see how things were going when something caught my eye. There was a clean spot about 3/4" long on the left edge of the firepot gasket. From time to time I check the gasket, but all you can see is a small edge that protrudes beyond the firepot rim. A closer look at the hard to see front with a small mirror seems to show another bad piece of gasket. I'm guessing these gaskets last a certain amount of burning slowly get brittle then suddenly let go as the air pressure from the exhaust pulls the weakened pieces out. I think mine is 4 years old, and is on 24X7.

Quad doesn't list the size, and their cost is unreasonable. I think it's around $20.
    I found this gasket that looks like it might fit, and the price is right. http://heiligkuh.com/bbandp/product_info.php/cPath/22_25/products_id/30

Does anybody have the actual measurements?

I am hoping all I need to do is disconnect the pull rod, igniter, move the thermocouple out of the way, then fight with the firepot bolts.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

I replaced my stock gasket with a Flat type gasket material. Not Lytherm. I used a Meeco Red Devil 5/8" Flat gasket. I adhered it to the bottom of the pot and its lasted over 3 yrs now with no prob. Pot can be taken out and replaced 10 times a year and no ill effect.

Look into a good 1/2" or 5/8" flat/tape gasket and never look back to factory Lytherm, that needs changed every time it's removed.
  3. smalltown

smalltown Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western Maine
    Dexter thanks. I looked around locally and could not find any flat gasket material. I took advantage of the warm 50 Deg. F. temperature to grit my teeth, drive to the dealer, and bought the gasket. Much to my surprise I was charged only $5 including the tax. Everything came apart quite easily even the two bolts holding the firepot backed right out. :) The old gasket had completely disintegrated and needed more vacuuming than scraping to clean up. I am up and running. Fire looks more vigorous now. It will be interesting to see how it works as the temps drop each evening.