Castile I felt that something wasn't right.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smalltown

Minister of Fire
Oct 1, 2008
Western Maine
I was seeing more than the usual ash left over after a burn, and it failed to start more often. It still was running ok, but I had that nagging feeling. I have been doing my cleaning including the leaf blower, but my reassuring telltale whistle after cleaning was absent. Last evening while the stove was running I checked the firepot to see how things were going when something caught my eye. There was a clean spot about 3/4" long on the left edge of the firepot gasket. From time to time I check the gasket, but all you can see is a small edge that protrudes beyond the firepot rim. A closer look at the hard to see front with a small mirror seems to show another bad piece of gasket. I'm guessing these gaskets last a certain amount of burning slowly get brittle then suddenly let go as the air pressure from the exhaust pulls the weakened pieces out. I think mine is 4 years old, and is on 24X7.

Quad doesn't list the size, and their cost is unreasonable. I think it's around $20.
I found this gasket that looks like it might fit, and the price is right. http://heiligkuh.com/bbandp/product_info.php/cPath/22_25/products_id/30

Does anybody have the actual measurements?

I am hoping all I need to do is disconnect the pull rod, igniter, move the thermocouple out of the way, then fight with the firepot bolts.

I replaced my stock gasket with a Flat type gasket material. Not Lytherm. I used a Meeco Red Devil 5/8" Flat gasket. I adhered it to the bottom of the pot and its lasted over 3 yrs now with no prob. Pot can be taken out and replaced 10 times a year and no ill effect.

Look into a good 1/2" or 5/8" flat/tape gasket and never look back to factory Lytherm, that needs changed every time it's removed.

Dexter thanks. I looked around locally and could not find any flat gasket material. I took advantage of the warm 50 Deg. F. temperature to grit my teeth, drive to the dealer, and bought the gasket. Much to my surprise I was charged only $5 including the tax. Everything came apart quite easily even the two bolts holding the firepot backed right out. :) The old gasket had completely disintegrated and needed more vacuuming than scraping to clean up. I am up and running. Fire looks more vigorous now. It will be interesting to see how it works as the temps drop each evening.

Status
Not open for further replies.