Castile Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tonyd

Feeling the Heat
Aug 8, 2008
Hughesville Md
I went by the hearth store today looking to purchase material to reline the chimney. Talking with the sales/tech rep, he asked why I needed to reline the chimney. I told him I was currently using a 5' flex up threw the damper and thought It was better to go the whole length. HE TALKED ME OUT OF IT. He said It wasn't necessary with the Quad Castile so, SAVE your MONEY. Reading everything on this forum. I was trying to convince him it was necessary. I left with my money in my pocket. Has anyone tried it both ways and noticed any changes. Any pros or cons from any of you who install. Thanks Tony

If you do not run the liner all the way up the chimney you will have to pull the stove out and clean the fly ash and soot out at the end of the heating season which takes a lot of time and makes a lot of mess. You will have to install it to nfpa 12.4.5 It is much easier to put the liner in so you can just clean the flue and stove without removing everything.

Do you currently have a sealed block off plate in the damper so that no exhaust can come back into the house?

Yes . Its been blocked off and sealed. He said Quadrafire did many tests to be able to print it in the owners manual. I asked about ash and he said no clean out tee is necessary. He cleans stoves on a seasonal basis and has had no problems with the setup. I was their with my 22yr old daughter and she kept asking why I was trying to waste my money. I left with my money, but she insisted I take her to lunch. Money well spent.

I have a Castile insert also and mine was installed without putting a liner all the way up in the chimney. I had removed the damper and made an aluminum plate to fit the opening to seal it off a few years ago when I had gas vent free logs, so when my Castile installer came to install it he took the plate I made and cut a hole in it to slide the vent through and up into the chimeny about 4 feet, he also packed the area where this plate fits with insulation, and then replaced the aluminum plate and sealed all around with the high temp silicone sealer to seal any air leaks.

This works very well, and I will have my unit serviced and cleaned yearly, so fly ash isnt an issue for me. The chimney is only 18 feet from bottom to top and I have a large cap on top which I had with the fireplace. The draft I'm getting is very good this way and the installer told me it wasnt necessary to run the liner all the way to the top, and to save the money instead. He's been installing stoves and inserts for 15 years so I trusted his decision, and he and his brother are a very well known reliable stove supply and installation company in my area. This instal also meets the code requirement in my county as well.

As long as it has a sealed block off plate it is legit. Only problem will be getting all the loose ash off the top of the plate as it accumulates over time. Although it night not cause any problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.