Castile quiet!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Countryboymo

Feeling the Heat
Feb 24, 2010
W Central MO
I removed the burn pot and after a good cleaning and painting replaced it with a new gasket. I also replaced the blower motor because it was getting insanely noisy. I purchased the stove used with a noisy blower and didn't realize it was the blower. I always thought it was overly loud but also read complaints about this model and its sister being rather noisy. I replaced the motor and its like a whole new stove. The only difference I have now is to get the flame anywhere close to 4" above the burn pot I have to open the feed wide open.

Somethings not right my Castile would be roaring at that point.
I hope your burnpot gasket is not leaking air?
You must have checked all the air holes in the bottom of the air pot, and remember there are 4 more air holes 2 on eather side of the ignighter hole out of sight.
Are your pellets ok?

Iv'e got my Castile apart at the moment to replace the door gasket. and repaint the inside. Next I will pull the combustion fan to clean it and replace with a new gasket.
Lastly I am going to run a "Lint Eater" brush down the stove pipe from the outside.

I might need to shut mine a bit on the feed but not much. When I was running somersets with the old noisy blower I had to really close the feed because the pellets were really short in comparison to the rockys. If I had it wide open with the somersets I would have flame to the top plate. I had the burn pot out and de burred each burn hole slightly and cleaned and painted the whole thing and replaced it with a new quadrafire gasket. I also replaced the combustion blower and gasket at the same time. It probably has 10lbs through it since it has been cleaned and rebuilt.

It's most likely the pellet length that is causing the feed 'problem'. I find that one my stoves, pellet length is the MAJOR reason to adjust the feed gate. Sounds like you know what you are doing. Just make sure you are adjusting the height with it on HI.

Yeah on high. If I burn a small pellet I have to cut the feed rate almost at the bottom of the range. The pellets do not need to be much smaller than what I have and it calls for a sizeable adjustment.

I love my Santa Fe ... it heats really good and I'm using Somerset pellets.

Status
Not open for further replies.