Castile Rope

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chas

Sep 8, 2008
ma
I found the rope for my castile it's 3/4 in rope. I noticed that on the door each end of the rope is taped with a tape that looks like it keeps it from unraveling can anyone tell me what type of tape it might be. Thanks for any help.

I was wondering the same thing.

I sure hope someone knows what it is because I have a Castile insert and I wondered what that was too on both sides at the bottom. I didnt know if its tape or just how that gasket is made.

The gasket on the doors is not a 3/4" rope, it is a special tadpole gasket. Another dealer on here said the only 3rd party place he has ever found to buy it sells it by the 1000' roll.

The tape on the ends is a heat / fire proof tape made by 3M.

If you get the gasket kit from Quadrafire it comes with enough gasket and tape to do the door 3 times if you don't waste any.

Thanks, JTP!!!!

If anyone finds that tape for sale anywhere let me know. I bet we could find other uses for it. Might be handy to have a little extra laying around.

I've used the high temp silicone to do the ends a bit, not as nice as the tape but works. I've also modified my stove to take the 3/4 normal gasket, but doing so is not for everyone (there's alot more to it then just using the 3/4, you're dealing with a very precise air gap too).

3/8" tadpole is all i see listed for this model, others used either a 3/4" rope of the tadpole, depending on DOM

they use some type of tape to seal the ends on the factory tadpole, i've never found a source for it(yet)
i find a dab of silicone to be effective to seal any frayed ends

still happy to provide tadpole source if anyone wants it in Bulk

on closer inspection I see Dave is correct it is tadpole. How hard or easy is it to remove the rope retainer rods on each side. They don't appear to come out very easy.

Thanks for any advise

I pointed out it was a tadpole gasket yesterday ;)

The roads are easy to remove, on the bottom there should be a crimped end to keep it from falling down. Put a screwdriver on the end and tap with a hammer. Once it slides up out of the bottom hole you just tilt it forward and remove.

And the source for the tape is to get the Quad gasket kit. I do know for a fact its made by 3M. I do not know why I know or who told me, but I know it to be true.

Check with McMaster.com they are a industrial supplier. They are like Grainger only 1000 times more STUFF.

I buy from them every day, they will have the tape and the tadpole gasket but the foot.

I use a similer tape at work its a 3m fiberglass tape.

I apologize if I seem to be asking the same question but I’m not clear on how to replace the gasket yet. Being my first time replacing it I want to get it right. I thank you for the steering me in the right direction it is a tadpole gasket. I looked at the old frayed gasket and it looks like on the left and right side of the door the gasket has the adhesive tab, but it looks like it was cut off on the top of the door and maybe some adhesive is holding it on the top side of the door. Thanks for any help you could offer.

The tape on the end of the tadpole gasket, is heat seal tape. Heat seal tape is used when sealing blister paks, plastic bags, etc. It is applied over the heating element. I believe this tape is used on the ends of the gasket to keep it from fraying. the last time my dealer replaced the gasket, they didn't use the tape. I don't think its necesary. Also I believe the gasket comes with the adhesive when you order in a ten foot section. All you do is remove the 2 rods, and glue the new gasket in the same place. Don't forget to scrap off the old glue first. Then replace the holding rods. I would take a picture off the old one installed first just in case you forget which way it goes.

To replace the gasket. First you want to check where your air wash is. This is the section where the gasket is missing. It will be either on the top or the bottom, you need to make sure you install it the same way as it was. There was a change made at one point which changed some of the stoves from a top air wash to a bottom.

Open the door, remove the retainer rods as I explained above. The glass should be falling out at this point.

The old gasket should have the tadpole part slightly wrapped around to the front of the glass. The new one needs to be installed the same. The tadpole tail seals the glass to the frame and the rope part of it seals the glass to the fireplace itself. You want on the left and right sides for the rope part start just past where the rods are, top (or bottom) should have the same spacing. The corners are a little tricky to get it just right.

Its pretty simple really, you just put it on just like the one from the factory. My first time doing one I just made it up as a went along and it came out fine. If you cannot handle that take the door into a dealer and have them do it for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.