castile thermostat question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fatotto48

Feb 20, 2010
central ct
I have read on some posts here that some stoves can be controlled by t-stats to go from a lower flame to higher flame without shutting down. I believe that the Castile I have (2008) when put on a t-stat will only work by starting stove when cold and shutting down when satisfied. I leave the stat on highest setting and adjust with lo-med-hi rocker switch. Does anyone know how to automatically control settings from low to high. This would be a great option.

I was going to try that but monkeys are not legal in connecticut.

look at it as a low med high space heater with no idea what size room it's in but could be a cool add on to a stove if you figure it out. would need another control that would talk to t-stat and calculate how fast it is warming up in the room.

I would think the easiest would be a outside temp based control that a person could set in three temp ranges. Say 50 or higher outside temp low burn, 35 to 49 medium, and anything below 34 high burn or whatever.

I've ran my Castile on a stat from day one many years ago, run it on hi setting so it has a nice clean burn. Why are you concerned with doing so? I'm on the original ignitor, the stove runs good this way.

Czech said:
I've ran my Castile on a stat from day one many years ago, run it on hi setting so it has a nice clean burn. Why are you concerned with doing so? I'm on the original ignitor, the stove runs good this way.

It don't make sense to me to heat up the stove then shut it off, let it cool down then start it and heat up again. I'd say that would be a waste of money. The simplicity of the quad is nice less to go wrong ( knock on wood ).

fatotto48 said:
Czech said:

It don't make sense to me to heat up the stove then shut it off, let it cool down then start it and heat up again. I'd say that would be a waste of money. The simplicity of the quad is nice less to go wrong ( knock on wood ).

Kind of blows holes in every type of heater out there, doesn't it? Think about it, the stove or heater on a tstat is only going to heat to a certain set point and then shut off, right? You're not losing anything by letting the stove cool and then heat back up again, the btu's are still going into the room regardless. Think of the hopper being filled with a finite amount of btu's, that's all your going to get out of it. Doesn't matter whether you burn them all up at one constant fell swoop, or burn them up a little at a time off and on, it is still the same amount of btu's regardless.

Good point, I'll just push the rocker switch like I been doin.

Castilles both on TStats.... I control the fan setting based on if I am home. Out for the day, run em high... max outburst of heat and then off. Home at night, slow and steady. Run the TStat in the day 65 low point and 70 high point. When home, usually let it run to 75. Not about $$$ or bags of pellets. All about comfort!

I think comfort is what we strive for. The outcome of maintaining the stove and trying to regulate a even temp. thruout the house. Some of us make a hobby of it, which is great. Yes, and save some money in the process not burning oil. I am always trying to improve on everything( that could be a bad thing some time), but it's a good challenge to make the stove run as efficient as I can.

My wife says to me nobody wants your help. Please tell me this is not true.

Status
Not open for further replies.