Castille Insert Door Gasket

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

George0211

Oct 8, 2008
South Jersey
Hi I have a 1.5 year old QuadraFire Castille pellet stove insert and the rope door gasket is very badly frayed in 1 corner. I already had it replaced last year while it was under warranty. I don't think it's still under warranty so I have to replace it myself.
I found this one on-line
http://woodheatstoves.com/quadrafire-tadpole-door-gasket-factory-original-8425130-p-12293.html

Is that the right one?

Also, how do I actually replace it? It looks like the gasket is self-adhesive on 1 side, so it doesn't look too hard to install.
Do I have to remove the glass from the door?

Thanks a lot.

Hi, I too have a castille insert. Bought 3 years ago and had to replace the gasket last year also. AND it is frayed pretty bad now, but passes the dollar bill test. I took my door off and brought it too the dealer and they replaced it for me, the gasket was very pricey, its not real hard to replace. Yes you have to remove the glass from the door, theyre are 2 rods that run the length of the glass on both sides, you gently tap them out with a hammer and an awl, or small punch, just to get it through the frame then you can pull it out the rest of the way.

jack56 said:
Hi, I too have a castille insert. Bought 3 years ago and had to replace the gasket last year also. AND it is frayed pretty bad now, but passes the dollar bill test. I took my door off and brought it too the dealer and they replaced it for me, the gasket was very pricey, its not real hard to replace. Yes you have to remove the glass from the door, theyre are 2 rods that run the length of the glass on both sides, you gently tap them out with a hammer and an awl, or small punch, just to get it through the frame then you can pull it out the rest of the way.

What's a dollar bill test? Whatever it is, I doubt mine will pass it, when the stove starts, I can smell the wood burning in the room.

George0211 said:
jack56 said:

What's a dollar bill test? Whatever it is, I doubt mine will pass it, when the stove starts, I can smell the wood burning in the room.

It is the same test as is used for checking your refrigerator door gasket, insert dollar, close door, pull on the bill, if the bill offers resistance to pulling the gasket in that location is fine, continue the test in several spots around the door, if it fails even one test replace the gasket.

ETA You do this when the stove is off and cool I might add.

The dollar bill test is - where the gasket is frayed, and youre not sure if it is sealing correctly, you open the door, put a bill in, close and latch the door and tug at the bill. If it holds the bill with a gentle tug its considered good enough. Of course you do all this while the stove is shutdown and cool.

If it is frayed, it is a good idea to lightly sand the door frame where the gasket meets the frame. Sometimes the frame has rough spots that cause fraying. Replacing the gasket is not hard, get the oem part and you should have enough left over to do it twice. Remove the rods as said, lift the glass out and replace it the same as the old one is mounted. Note that you do only the same three sides as the old one, top or bottom (depending on model year) is left open for the air wash which helps keep the glass clean

I have the free standing castile, and I have had to replace the gasket twice. the stove is five years old. When I contacted Quadrafire about the problem, they claimed I was spraying the glass with glass cleaner. That spray was getting on the rope gasket (its called a "Tadpole gasket"), and it was the glass cleaner which causes the gasket to fray and go bad. You can cut the frayed pieces off. Quad tech suggested I spray the window cleaner on the cloth or rag first. This will keep the window cleaner off of the gasket. I did get 3 years out of my last gasket by spraying the rag rather than the glass.

I really don't believe its the window cleaner. I think the gasket just has to be replaced every now and then.

They also informed me not to use a glass cleaner with amonia in it. The amonia will etch the ceramic glass. I use "Glass Plus", no amonia.

It cost me $58.00 this year to have my dealer replace the tad pole gasket. You do not have to remove the glass from the frame, you just have to take the door off. It lifts right out of the hinge. Unlatch the door, open it and lift up.

There are 2 rods that hold the gasket in place, and they use some glue too. I believe its eiser to just take the door to your dealer and have it replaced. Less headach and chance to break some other part of the door. I dropped mine off prior to work and its ready when I get off work.

Hope this helps. Tom

thz123 said:
I have the free standing castile, and I have had to replace the gasket twice. the stove is five years old. When I contacted Quadrafire about the problem, they claimed I was spraying the glass with glass cleaner. That spray was getting on the rope gasket (its called a "Tadpole gasket"), and it was the glass cleaner which causes the gasket to fray and go bad. You can cut the frayed pieces off. Quad tech suggested I spray the window cleaner on the cloth or rag first. This will keep the window cleaner off of the gasket. I did get 3 years out of my last gasket by spraying the rag rather than the glass.

I really don't believe its the window cleaner. I think the gasket just has to be replaced every now and then.

They also informed me not to use a glass cleaner with amonia in it. The amonia will etch the ceramic glass. I use "Glass Plus", no amonia.

It cost me $58.00 this year to have my dealer replace the tad pole gasket. You do not have to remove the glass from the frame, you just have to take the door off. It lifts right out of the hinge. Unlatch the door, open it and lift up.

There are 2 rods that hold the gasket in place, and they use some glue too. I believe its eiser to just take the door to your dealer and have it replaced. Less headach and chance to break some other part of the door. I dropped mine off prior to work and its ready when I get off work.

Hope this helps. Tom

WOW. I had no idea that the glass cleaner could be causing it. I was always spraying the cleaner directly onto the glass, I won't do that anymore. Also, I had no idea about glass cleaner with ammonia damaging the glass.
Thanks a lot for that info.

Actually if you read the owners manual closely, it does mention not to use the amonia. I didn't comprehend that when I read the manual the first time. After talking with the tech, I looked to see if it did say no amonia. It does.

thz, I very respectively disagree with the comment that you do not have to remove the glass. It is my experience that the edges (glued) go on the outside edge of the glass between the glass and the outside edge of the door frame? Once you have the tadpole stuck to the outside edge of the glass around the three side, the glass goes back into the frame therefore 'pinching' the edge of the gasket between the frame and glass to hold it in. The rods basically hold the glass in the frame with the gasket attached. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, I'm very open to critique!

You do have to remove the glass to replace the door rope. If he is taking his whole door to the dealer, the dealer is removing the glass from the door. You also should not have to use any glue to put the door rope on. The door rope (tadpole rope) has stick tape on the side that sticks to the glass. If you are doing this yourself, be sure to take a razor blade and remove all of the old sticky glue, clean the glass well, let dry and then apply the new rope. Also yes, glass cleaner does cause the door rope to fray. Spraying on rag first will prolong the life of your door rope. Also quadrafire has started including a white tape to be applied to the cut edges of the rope to help the fraying as well. One last thing is do not cut the door rope into three pieces. You should leave it hole and just bend around the corners. Hope this clarifies things.

Status
Not open for further replies.