Castille Nuisance shutdown problem resolved another question?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bobm33

Aug 7, 2008
southeastern ct
Well we've resolved the nusance shutdown problem. It appears that the remote thermostat is equipped with an automatic shutdown after 9 hours of operation! This was documented in the user manual but i missed it. My dealer did not know about this feature. It should be noted this is only when the remote is used in the "ON" setting. When the remote is used in the "Thermo ON" setting it acts as a thermostat. Glad to have the problem resolved thank you all for your input.

Another question with regard to pellets getting hung up in the hopper. This has happened a couple of times as well. Any suggestions? Also I was wondering if there is a technique to avoid dumping fines into the hopper? I'm using TSC Hardwood Heat pellets but because they are the only pellets I've used to date I can't really tell whether they have a over abundance of fines or ash for that matter.

Thanks all

i usually find the fins all through out the bag when i open it, i have a top feed and the pellets are all small. i just clean the hopper after 1 month, last month it was about 3-4 cups in there

Oh yeah... I knew about the 9 hours thing but it slipped my mind. Very rare that someone activates that "feature".

I tried Hardwood Heat pellets and because of some of the large pieces (some 2-2.5 in in length), ultimately caused the auger to jam. After clearing the jam, I would try to break up the obvious large pieces for the remainder of what I had bought and did not have the problem again. I now avoid HH pellets unless I absolutely had to. They burned well in my Castile-although the burn pot filled up with residue/clinkers at a faster rate.

Burning Chunk I don't remember if you have the insert or free-standing Castile but either way, the subject of pellets getting hung up in the hopper has come up and been discussed many times.

Here is one that will help you.

Happy Heating!

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.