Castine Break-in burn pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No problem at all! I appologize if I wasn't exactly clear on that. I had a few threads going at once...so even I got confused. :lol:

We have the biggest wall unit available and it puts out some good heat when you crank it up. This spring, we had the breaker box replaced along with some other electrical work. We had the electrician put in two electric baseboard heaters downstairs; one in the living area, one in the utility room with all the copper. So between the wall heater and the electric baseboards, we'll be able to keep the place in the upper 50's when we're away during the week. If we ever get one of those "it just hit the fan" situations, I can drive up there, fire up the Castine and keep the pipes from freezing until the lights come back on.

Congrats on the new castine. I started using one last year and love it. Its a great stove.

Nice stove. I have one and no complaints.

As for fire starting, I relight mine every day during the cold weather (I don't burn 24/7). I prefer to start a small fire from the bottom and build it up gradually. Maybe it's not the best way, but it works for me.

JotulOwner said:
Nice stove. I have one and no complaints.

As for fire starting, I relight mine every day during the cold weather (I don't burn 24/7). I prefer to start a small fire from the bottom and build it up gradually. Maybe it's not the best way, but it works for me.

Hey now . . . there's nothing wrong with starting a fire the traditional way . . . us old-school fire starters have to stick together. ;) :)

Love the Jotul, best of luck with it. Here's to much snow in Northern New England this year. I'll be making turns somewhere. Cheers.

Sen. John Blutarsky said:
Love the Jotul, best of luck with it. Here's to much snow in Northern New England this year. I'll be making turns somewhere. Cheers.

Amen! I hope that the snow falls this winter like the rain did this summer. The leaves are just starting to turn up there....

Did two nice fire Wednesday and Thursday night. I got the stove up to 550. It's sweet seeing those secondaries light up. I managed to get our downstairs area up to a balmy 79F. Shorts and t-shirt attire. Over the next few weeks, I'll start moving the wood from the back yard to the "stack-it bracket" wood racks I made over the weekend.

***EDIT***

I'm still playing around with the best way to get the stove fired up. I'm kinda using a modified top down. It's like a regular top down...but I put two "knots" of paper between my larger splits at the bottom of the fire box. It seems to work pretty well; I got the stove up to 400ish after 20 minutes.

I do notice that when starting off, the stove needs a bit of "extra" air to get going. Funny things about these EPA stoves...the regular air intake just doesn't cut it at start up. Although, that could have a bit to do with my chimney setup and draft...or lack there of. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.