Castine Install Bunch of Pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

southbalto

Feeling the Heat
Nov 20, 2008
Mid-Atlantic
I got the class a in the the existing exterior chase and the stove installed last year. Last weekend I finally got around to putting up the stone over the wall protection.

What I started with last year
2eyujc6.jpg

What it looked like last week
DSC00584.jpg

This came in handy
DSC01933.jpg

I ended up cutting down the stone to about 1/4" or so. Dusty, but it was a breeze going up on the wall.

The material is usually about 1-1.5" thick. I was able to cut the end pieces so that they wrap around the cement board so, from the sides, it looks as if the stones are stacked. Huge PITA but...I figured I'd be looking at it for a few years..

Progress
DSC01925.jpg

DSC01924.jpg

Final product

DSC01930.jpg

I also put in an OAK this year. IT goes out the stove, into the exterior chase and down. I'll take a few pics and update the page later if anyones interested.

Pennsylvania bluestone....love it

Done a couple patios with it too. Benches, bird houses...I find all kinds of uses for it.

Frickin' gorgeous, man.

Correctly, designed, built, and beautiful. You rock, pun intended!

What did you do for the hearth--materials and design? Did you lay it on top of the wood floor, or inset it?

It looks inset. I'd like to do the same for mine--make it flush--but leave off the raised trim so it is level with the wood floor. I wonder if that is feasible.

Nice looking install. What did you use for the standoffs, and how far. Where does the OAK terminate?
Will

wow i didnt know we could do it this way if we have a chase! something im going to be looking into! how well do the back vent stoves work with draft? and how many feet tall your chimney?

That install and stove look excellent! Love the look of real stone and how you did the floor!

Ray

southbalto said:
I also put in an OAK this year. IT goes out the stove, into the exterior chase and down. I'll take a few pics and update the page later if anyones interested.

Very nice job. Of course we want more pics, we want to see it all.lol

Very nice . . . my wife and I are considering putting up some sort of stone backing behind our stove eventually . . . love the pics.

looking good. I am looking at something similar.

Great job, it's coming along nicely. Will there be a mantel?

How is the stove doing with the OAK this year? Have you noticed a significant difference in how she's burning? Any smoke spillage with the horiz. connector?

RenovationGeorge said:
Frickin' gorgeous, man.

Correctly, designed, built, and beautiful. You rock, pun intended!

What did you do for the hearth--materials and design? Did you lay it on top of the wood floor, or inset it?

It looks inset. I'd like to do the same for mine--make it flush--but leave off the raised trim so it is level with the wood floor. I wonder if that is feasible.

Yea, it's inset.

This is the kind of look I was going for......
slate-1.jpg

I got impatient with the slate. I wish I would have recessed the transition.

"Willman: The Backerboard was secured to the wall using 4" wood screws, spacers, and steel sleeves to maintain the 1" gap. I've also heard that folks will use strips of cement board to achieve that 1" gap. As for the OAK termination. Out the stove, straight back maybe 18" then a 90 degree down another 18" or so. It's one of those new construction exterior chimneys...the ones that essentially hang off the side of the house. The OAK drops out the bottom of the chase.

Joel: Sakcrete <s?> stone veneer mortar. Premixed..50lb at HD for about 6 bucks.

Grey: thought long and hard about rearventing...I ended up going that way because I liked the look. If I ever swap stoves I'll just have to face the music and alter/redo the stone.
I've got a 24' Class A stack behind the stove. Once it gets going, It pulls HARD. I have a Key damper behind the stove and once I get it up to temp (500ish) I can just about close the thing fully and it still pulls hard enough to keep the secondaries running full force.

I went to an OAK setup soon after I got the stove installed. The first week or so I struggled to get the thing up to temp as if it was starved for air. I noticed that the performance improved with a crack of the nearby window so I thought the OAK wouldn't hurt. I didn't have the best wood last year so that may have been the trouble all along. I might tinker with it a bit more this year. Try it with and without. Stay tuned.

I'll get some pics up of the chase access and OAK soon. Get home by 5:30 but it might as well be 2am. That time of year.......

Status
Not open for further replies.