Castine question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kobudo

Sep 10, 2008
MN
Hello.

I have new Jotul Castine in my cabin. I have done the 3 break in fires and now am looking forward to using it for heat.

My question is how well do you think it will heat a 1350 sqft cabin? According to the specs. it shouldn't be a problem but my situation does include the following:
1. The family/dining/kitchen areas are all open but the mudroom, bathroom and 2 bedrooms are somewhat seperate.
2. 15' ceilings all rooms
3. Possibility of -30* or lower temps in the dead of winter

I do have have back up propane heaters in the bedrooms and bathroom so it isn't crucial to rely on the Castine alone but the more I can save on propane the better!

I am off the grid so limiting electric use (fans) is helpful.

I think it'll work out well for you, if you're moderately well insulated. I heat a ~1700 sqft cape, with crummy insualation. The heat doesn't get to the other side of the house so well, but good enough, and it heats the upstairs very well.

Fire it moderately hard and I think you will be as warm as toast. I heat a larger area than you are and it does well.

Status
Not open for further replies.