castine's in the back of the car

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dvellone

Feeling the Heat
Sep 21, 2006
Finally did it and now I've just got to get it out of the back of the highlander and in to the house. Maybe the decision was the easy part after all. Once I arrived at the dealer they tried to get me for jotul's new price increase but pretty easily settled on the price they informally quoted me over the phone when I mentioned the conversation. They actually had quite a few castine's in stock as well as a nice selection of other model jotuls and hearthstones.

I wasn't aware that the heat shield was an extra option and not standard. I'll probably need it in my installation.

I greatly appreciate all the advice that contributed to my decision as well as the many threads not initiated by myself that helped quite a bit. I'd been deliberating this buy since very shortly after I installed the nordic nearly three years ago. It sure feels good knowing that as the cold is quickly approaching I'll heat my house with a lot more enjoyment.

kool! thats a nice stove , clean look , im certain you will enjoy it , make sure you drop us a pic when you get her in place. good to post that there are more available maybe someone looking for one can find it at your dealer. looking forward to seeing the new addition in her new home.

good luck.i hope we all enjoy our new castine's.

dvellone said:
They actually had quite a few castine's in stock as well as a nice selection of other model jotuls and hearthstones.

I wasn't aware that the heat shield was an extra option and not standard. I'll probably need it in my installation.

Way to go dvellone, that's a fine stove that will make you smile year round. It's good to hear that there are still pockets of stoves available. My guess is that won't be the case a month from now. Did they have enameled models?

Although it is listed as an accessory, locally, when we shopped for our F400 they all had the rear heatshield. You don't need it if you have good clearances or a wall shield, but for our corner installation it was a necessity and did the job well.

Nice stove! Just curious - what's the "new" price?

is that enameled or painted?

BeGreen said:
is that enameled or painted?

I called a dealer in mass and asked for the black castine. that's the price i was given.

John

Begreen,you asked in another thread about my stove being shiny and repainted.would someone repaint a stove thats never been used?? how long ago did the castine get the single door??

John

I doubt that someone would repaint a new factory stove. I'm used to seeing cast iron as a sort of dark matte grey. Maybe it was just the lighting in the photo? Is your stove possibly a blue-black enameled unit?

As for the single door, I'm guessing around 2003??

BeGreen said:
I doubt that someone would repaint a new factory stove. I'm used to seeing cast iron as a sort of dark matte grey. Maybe it was just the lighting in the photo? Is your stove possibly a blue-black enameled unit?

As for the single door, I'm guessing around 2003??

I'm not sure what it is.it came with a full can of touch up paint.the tray has a small scrape on it and it looks like paint.I will post a better pic of it tomorrow night.Could a stove that is possibly 5 years old need repainting if not used?

It is a nice looking stove.i almost cannot wait for winter.

John

My Castine was a new 2 door model in 2001, matte black $1400. No problems or repairs to date. Hope I didn't just jinx myself.

Tell Castine to get her butt out of the car and into the house...you've got work for her to do. Rick

adrpga498 said:
My Castine was a new 2 door model in 2001, matte black $1400. No problems or repairs to date. Hope I didn't just jinx myself.

Sounds good.

The stove's in the house, in place, connected to the chimney and I can still walk upright. Just have to lengthen and widen the hearth a bit. No rear clearance issue so I guess for the time being the rear heat shield isn't necessary. Nice feeling of confidence that I'll heat with ease when I see the size of the stove compared to the nordic.

dvellone said:
The stove's in the house, in place, connected to the chimney and I can still walk upright. Just have to lengthen and widen the hearth a bit. No rear clearance issue so I guess for the time being the rear heat shield isn't necessary. Nice feeling of confidence that I'll heat with ease when I see the size of the stove compared to the nordic.

I know about the walking upright comment ;-) will you post a pic??

John

johnnywarm said:

John

Hey, whats with the prejudice. Us knuckle draggers gotta keep warm too! :lol:

Jags said:
johnnywarm said:

John

Hey, whats with the prejudice. Us knuckle draggers gotta keep warm too! :lol:
:) :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.