Castle Serenity blowing breaker

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

scrwol

Jan 22, 2017
Perry Mi
After the ignition and before the blower starts, the GFI at the wall plug trips.
If I manually change the exhaust voltage it will cause the blower to start?
Anyone else had this.

If the pot is lit, the smoke will force its way out of the stove.

After the ignition and before the blower starts, the GFI at the wall plug trips.
If I manually change the exhaust voltage it will cause the blower to start?
Anyone else had this.

If the pot is lit, the smoke will force its way out of the stove.
Why is the blower not coming on automatically?

Are you saying the exhaust blower is not coming on or the room blower. The exhaust blower should come on as soon as you hit start up.

My guess is that the room blower is tripping the breaker. Does the motor spin freely? Is there a test mode or can you just run the room fan? Take amp draw readings from the room blower when it tries to start.

Tripping the GFI is not the same as tripping the breaker. The GFI trips because there is a ground fault. From your description, it sounds like the problem is in the room blower or its wiring, more likely the wiring. Check the wiring carefully for missing insulation or a pinched wire, especially if you have been working on the stove. You could also disconnect the motor to see if the GFI trips.

Reactions: Deezl Smoke
Tripping the GFI is not the same as tripping the breaker. The GFI trips because there is a ground fault. From your description, it sounds like the problem is in the room blower or its wiring, more likely the wiring. Check the wiring carefully for missing insulation or a pinched wire, especially if you have been working on the stove. You could also disconnect the motor to see if the GFI trips.

Good call I missed that it was a gfi. "From here" it does look like a room blower motor-wire problem in some fashion. Could possibly be a failing GFI also. Don't know this stove I am assuming it has an ac motor and not an ecm motor. GFI's don't like ecm motors.

Good call I missed that it was a gfi. "From here" it does look like a room blower motor-wire problem in some fashion. Could possibly be a failing GFI also. Don't know this stove I am assuming it has an ac motor and not an ecm motor. GFI's don't like ecm motors.

Thanks for the support.

After the popped GFI started today I decided to pull the side panel and a minimum rule out the last thing I had not cleaned.
I pulled the side cover and noticed a yellow wire with a connector laying below the exhaust fan I was about to clean.
I pulled the fan assembly which actually looked good, brushed off some dust, vacuumed the rest, replaced it, and went on-line to question the wire. I found a picture with the yellow ground and its attach point.
It was a loose fit at best so I snugged it up and crossed my fingers. No cigar.
After the ignite phase and light, the GFI popped.
This can smoke up the garage, so I reset the GFI and turned it on.
The exhaust fan continued to run while the stove went into 30 pause before restart.

I'll research the fan pull.
This is my second year with the stove on the same GFI wall outlet. No problems before now.
Thanks again for the tips.

I'll try your idea tomorrow.
Thanks

It runs fine in test mode

Is there a reason for the GFI? Is it in a basement or something? Is it a dedicated circuit? Have you tried it in a regular outlet? It is quite common for a GFI to fail and or wear over time. I could also imagine that the GFI could be working fine and is detecting a potential future motor-ignitor problem before it fails but I would see it as more of a nuisance personally. A pellet stove is one of the last things I would plug into a GFI personally. Just sayin

Last edited:
Is there a reason for the GFI? Is it in a basement or something? Is it a dedicated circuit? Have you tried it in a regular outlet? It is quite common for a GFI to fail and or wear over time. I could also imagine that the GFI could be working fine and is detecting a potential future motor-ignitor problem before it fails but I would see it as more of a nuisance personally.

The GFCI receptacles do wear out or "go bad". Replace the receptacle and try again. My south serenity is doing the same thing. Last year it worked fine, but over the summer, the GFCI decided to call it quits, so I run a short extension cord until I get a new plug. GFCI plugs are usually the first plug in the circuit and/or next to a water source. So as the first plug in the circuit, the other appliances on that circuit will effect the GFCI. At least that is what I have been told, but I am not an electrician.

Is there a reason for the GFI? Is it in a basement or something? Is it a dedicated circuit? Have you tried it in a regular outlet? It is quite common for a GFI to fail and or wear over time. I could also imagine that the GFI could be working fine and is detecting a potential future motor-ignitor problem before it fails but I would see it as more of a nuisance personally. A pellet stove is one of the last things I would plug into a GFI personally. Just sayin

Garage