Castle Serenity - Burnt board traces

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Oct 21, 2018
Upstate NY
Good evening. I'm in the middle of restoring a new to me Castle Serenity. The PO was plugging the exhaust blower right into the wall, so it was pretty obvious there was going to be a board issue. I was expecting a bad TRIAC or something, but instead found a burnt neutral trace for the exhaust blower and the coating had melted off the main AC neutral trace too.

It just seems strange that it should blow out on the neutral side, which makes me wonder if the traces are just undersized, or if this is a common failure?

Next step is to check the current draw on the blower. It is reading about 17ohms.

Nathan

IMG_20231114_171852409.jpg

If the PO connected the blower motor terminals to 110VAC, while the motor was still connected to the board (and the stove was still plugged into an AC outlet), the neutral PC-board trace would blow if he swapped the L-to-N connections of the line cord he used to connect to the motor. This was effectively a short circuit thru the PC board, connecting L to N through those traces.

Repair the traces and you should be fine.