Castle Serenity - chimney size question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Well, i just picked it up and had to strip it at the store, otherwise it would not fit in my Rav4 .. lol. I secured it and no shaking while getting it home. Safely placed it in the basement (after a small cut on my pinky finger). All looks good (I "inspected it" at the store since i was opening it) and no scratches, bruises, cracks, nothing of that sort.

I did miss the two screws that attaches the stove to the pallet so i need to replace them on the back so the shiny sheet metal covering the back doesn't look flappy. It does have a screw securing it in the middle, so no worries if i miss the other two.

All of this said, i got the manual and the electronic panel out of the hopper and found gooey stuff ( i guess is fireproof sealant) but only in certain areas (see pic below).

any other owners noticed that? Should i put more sealant on the rest of the edges just for good measure?

View attachment 189906

Mine have the sealant as well. Your pellet hopper is a direct conduit to the burn chamber, so it has to be sealed well, as does the pellet hopper lid.

Please keep us up to date with the install.

Darn that was a loooooong long vacation I had. Went south so no cold weather and I'm back just in time for this "arctic blast" and without a freaking stove installed yet.

So i went to the town and asked for permit..they pretty much wanted a copy of my installation manual so they verify after the installation that i meet all spacing requirements.

That makes me feel good as I might not need to do anything with the huge 8" (what seems to be Class A) pipe on the side of my house. I call the Serenity stove folks and asked if it was OK with the stove for me to just plug it to that existing pipe.. they told me that as long as it was made for wood burning that I should be ok hooking it up coming from a 4" L pipe to that 8" thimble.

That said, i am now in the hunt for what is needed. I did want to ask a pro to install it, but i think this is so simple i can just do it myself as i have a blessing from the vendor that i shoudl be able to use that 8" pipe.

thoughts before i burn my house down?

Reactions: Deezl Smoke
Darn that was a loooooong long vacation I had. Went south so no cold weather and I'm back just in time for this "arctic blast" and without a freaking stove installed yet.

So i went to the town and asked for permit..they pretty much wanted a copy of my installation manual so they verify after the installation that i meet all spacing requirements.

That makes me feel good as I might not need to do anything with the huge 8" (what seems to be Class A) pipe on the side of my house. I call the Serenity stove folks and asked if it was OK with the stove for me to just plug it to that existing pipe.. they told me that as long as it was made for wood burning that I should be ok hooking it up coming from a 4" L pipe to that 8" thimble.

That said, i am now in the hunt for what is needed. I did want to ask a pro to install it, but i think this is so simple i can just do it myself as i have a blessing from the vendor that i shoudl be able to use that 8" pipe.

thoughts before i burn my house down?

.............................I got nuth'n.;)

any thoughts on where is a good place to buy venting pipes? I need a reducer (4" to 8") a couple of 45 degree elbows a reducer from 3 to 4 and a meter or so of 4" pipe.

unless one of the elbows can be the reducer itself (in this case increaser).

any wood stove shop,any pellet stove shop,or repair person,home despot,lowes,ace,and most farm stores

and build.com.
Thanks!

I went to Lowes (haven't gone to home depot yet as it is farther) and they had very limited parts. I'll browse their online inventory and google for farm stores/stove stores, etc.. I got some fireplace items from woodland direct, but they did not have what i was looking for.

Holy smokes!

Venting the stove could run higher than the actual cost of the stove?! 126 bucks for a "PelletVent 3 in. - 4 in. Increaser Tee with Clean-Out Cap in Black" .. 75 bucks more for a 4 to 8 inches adapter .. i will still miss a 4 inch straight section and another elbow to attach .. Jesus!!

Holy smokes!

Venting the stove could run higher than the actual cost of the stove?! 126 bucks for a "PelletVent 3 in. - 4 in. Increaser Tee with Clean-Out Cap in Black" .. 75 bucks more for a 4 to 8 inches adapter .. i will still miss a 4 inch straight section and another elbow to attach .. Jesus!!
Well,if you bought a 20 dollar sink,or 500 dollar sink,the plumbing hook up is gonna be the same.:)

Well,if you bought a 20 dollar sink,or 500 dollar sink,the plumbing hook up is gonna be the same.:)
my point is that is overpriced.

same pipe, same brand, same specs except that the outer wall is not painted black goes for 71 bucks less. What a rip off.

my point is that is overpriced.

same pipe, same brand, same specs except that the outer wall is not painted black goes for 71 bucks less. What a rip off.
Yep have seen the price difference for painted,sometimes it is bad.Many people buy the cheaper and paint it.

Yep have seen the price difference for painted,sometimes it is bad.Many people buy the cheaper and paint it.
I just posted a "question" in home depot asking if they are being painted by college graduates from arts schools and with toothbrush sized paint brushes.

I did think about painting them myself.. would that only require for me to get high temp resistant painting?

Reactions: Mt Bob
I just posted a "question" in home depot asking if they are being painted by college graduates from arts schools and with toothbrush sized paint brushes.

I did think about painting them myself.. would that only require for me to get high temp resistant painting?
Yes,but a spray can of stove paint is not very expensive,but you "should" etch the pipe,like wipe it down with vinegar,but lots do not,seems to work fine.

so single wall vs double vs triple.. it only has to do with how far the vent pipe can be located from combustibles, correct?

No,I do not believe there is any single wall approved for pellet stoves,as pellet stoves are positive pressure.

Thanks for the links and information!.
It seems I should stick with a single vendor, but since I'll be reusing the existing class A stack coming out of the house, I'll need to figure out if the 4-8 increase will fit the existing pipe.

and pelletVent it is! (that is the one they have from Duravent at homedepot)

hm, ended up going for Ventis vent pipes. Found a place that was half off the local store for what i needed and it was 30 bucks more expensive than the homedepot duravent (non pro..the ones you need to seal and screw)..AND painted black ==c

It supposed to get here the day after tomorrow, so I hope i can set it up this weekend. Worst case i need an additional hearth as there might be one or two inches differences in the hight.

hey @Deezl Smoke , what brand of pellets do you burn in your serenity?

any recommendations for it?

hey @Deezl Smoke , what brand of pellets do you burn in your serenity?

any recommendations for it?

So far I stick with Coastal Farm and Ranch premiums. They are 100% douglas fir, so a soft wood. I did try Cascade brand douglas fir from Home Depot, I tried a douglas fir pellet from my local farm coop, and I believe it was Golden fire. Of them, I felt the Coastal premiums were the best value per btu. Not that I know how to figure btu in an exact science, but I got the same or better heat per bag as the others, but for less money because of the way I buy them.

Here's a youtube video I found about them.

So far I stick with Coastal Farm and Ranch premiums. They are 100% douglas fir, so a soft wood.
Here's a youtube video I found about them.

darn, i'll have to look for some of that over here.

btw, turns out i am short 4" with the vent pipes.. i'm going to have to look for some sort of stand or even use some cinder blocks to raise up the freaking stove. So much for looks, but this winter i just want to be warm.

any ideas where to look for those stands? or even a name of those.. (english is not my first language).

You could build yourself a nice hearth pad to raise the stove to the height you need.

You could build yourself a nice hearth pad to raise the stove to the height you need.
short in time. .too cold. .so this winter a bunch of concrete bricks will have to do the trick.. lol.

funny enough, a brick 2x4x8 is actuallt 2.25 x 3.89 x 7.something.. so now i have a pad 4.5 inches high. .i think that will do the trick.