Castle Serenity issue?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

STANG302

Nov 10, 2009
Osceola, WI
Brother just had a Castle Serenity installed. They have run two bags through it so far, but now having issues. Hoping it is an easy fix with out getting a tech involved.

So the stove seems to work fine on "Ignite" mode. Feeds pellets and fires up, no problem. Once "Ignite" mode ends and switches to "heating" it quite's feeding pellets. Inevitably the fire dies and she shuts down.

First thought was auger jammed up. But not the case as you can restart and it will feed on "Ignite" mode once again. Then I noticed that as soon as "heating" mode comes on. The icon for pellet feed and the corresponding noise of the auger stop. Which leads me to a control board issue.

Is there a way to reset the control board?
Any help appreciated!

Most stoves will do a reset if one unplugs the stove for a period of time. Good luck. I would suspect a low limit switch issue.
Reasoning is that if the switch is not closed by heat from a fire the board or circuit shuts the auger down.

Learned something new. The icons for vacuum switch indicator and hopper lid open indicator are not present.
But it will run on Ignite mode. So what could cause this?

Have you tried running the diagnostics on it, Or just call Ardisam , their tech support is great

Last edited:
Brother just had a Castle Serenity installed. They have run two bags through it so far, but now having issues. Hoping it is an easy fix with out getting a tech involved.

So the stove seems to work fine on "Ignite" mode. Feeds pellets and fires up, no problem. Once "Ignite" mode ends and switches to "heating" it quite's feeding pellets. Inevitably the fire dies and she shuts down.

First thought was auger jammed up. But not the case as you can restart and it will feed on "Ignite" mode once again. Then I noticed that as soon as "heating" mode comes on. The icon for pellet feed and the corresponding noise of the auger stop. Which leads me to a control board issue.

Is there a way to reset the control board?
Any help appreciated!

I am hitch-hiking on this issue. My Serenity has been working great and a week or so ago I started using the temperature mode instead of Manual and this worked good for a while but suddenly it would start up normally and then stop feeding pellets and then shut down.
I just took one members advice and unplugged it for 30 seconds, plugged it back in, switched it to Manual and fired it up and it's moved to the heating cycle and appeared to be working and then stopped feeding pellets and it's shutting down again.
Where might these loose wires be? Looking at it from the front are they on the right side or left? Can you get to them from the side? My Stove is in a corner and sits diagonally so the back will be very difficult to access.
Thanks!
REMCPEE

I am hitch-hiking on this issue. My Serenity has been working great and a week or so ago I started using the temperature mode instead of Manual and this worked good for a while but suddenly it would start up normally and then stop feeding pellets and then shut down.
I just took one members advice and unplugged it for 30 seconds, plugged it back in, switched it to Manual and fired it up and it's moved to the heating cycle and appeared to be working and then stopped feeding pellets and it's shutting down again.
Where might these loose wires be? Looking at it from the front are they on the right side or left? Can you get to them from the side? My Stove is in a corner and sits diagonally so the back will be very difficult to access.
Thanks!
REMCPEE

Try unplugging it for five minutes. Sometimes the diode can store electricity longer than several seconds. Stang302 never answered me so I doubt if I'd wait to long for him now.
How old is the stove?

Reactions: REMCPEE
Try unplugging it for five minutes. Sometimes the diode can store electricity longer than several seconds. Stang302 never answered me so I doubt if I'd wait to long for him now.
How old is the stove?

Thanks Jake86,
It's practically brand new. I have run about 7 or 8 bags of pellets. The shipping company pointed out a dent when we unpackaged it and they thought it may have happened during shipping. This may have jarred something loose but it was working great for a couple weeks.

I left it unplugged for a couple hours while working on something else. I just plugged it in a few minutes ago and started it up on "Manual". So I will let you know if it shuts down again.

Update 10 minutes later:
Okay same scenario so after it started to shut down I ran thru the diagnostics procedure and selected activate for each action and they all worked except "ignite" probably for the same reason it shuts down after just getting a good fire going. I also just selected the factory restore with no success so far.

For my next trick (since I can't pull a rabbit out of my hat) I will remove the side panels and search for any wire connections that may be loose. =)
I will wait until tomorrow to pull the panels because I am not as limber as I was when I was a young man. =(

Last edited:
Sounds like an issue with the proof of fire switch,I would check all connections for any loose wires.If that isn't the problem I would jump the proof of fire switch and see if that fixes it.

Thanks Jake86,
It's practically brand new. I have run about 7 or 8 bags of pellets. The shipping company pointed out a dent when we unpackaged it and they thought it may have happened during shipping. This may have jarred something loose but it was working great for a couple weeks.

I left it unplugged for a couple hours while working on something else. I just plugged it in a few minutes ago and started it up on "Manual". So I will let you know if it shuts down again.

Update 10 minutes later:
Okay same scenario so after it started to shut down I ran thru the diagnostics procedure and selected activate for each action and they all worked except "ignite" probably for the same reason it shuts down after just getting a good fire going. I also just selected the factory restore with no success so far.

For my next trick (since I can't pull a rabbit out of my hat) I will remove the side panels and search for any wire connections that may be loose. =)
I will wait until tomorrow to pull the panels because I am not as limber as I was when I was a young man. =(
Please make sure it's unplugged before you check the electrical connections.

Sounds like an issue with the proof of fire switch,I would check all connections for any loose wires.If that isn't the problem I would jump the proof of fire switch and see if that fixes it.

Thanks Rich2500. I called the Ardisam folks and left a message and within a few hours they called me back. The Tech had me make adjustments to the exhaust opening and adjust the voltage and the exhaust fans and after those didn't fix the problem Bonnie (thech person) suggested it may be the Proof-of-fire switch and I told her that a member on this forum suggested it could be that switch.
As it turns out this switch (at least on my unit) is equipped with a replacement switch that is contained within the same housing so all I needed to do was switch one wire to the another pole and it's back up and running like a champ again. Maybe this has been such a problem in the past that it became necessary to have this built-in replacement switch? So I will keep track of when I switched it over and see how long it lasts. I should probably price this Proof-of-Fire switch and order one to keep on hand? Of course maybe it will last many years and then I will forget what it is. Kind of my M.O.
Thanks for the help!

Reactions: Wessty and GT_Sharp
Thanks Jake86,

Update 10 minutes later:

I already posted this on another reply but just in case this may help someone else here was the outcome:
I called the Ardisam folks and left a message and within a few hours they called me back. The Tech had me make adjustments to the exhaust opening and adjust the voltage and the exhaust fans and after those didn't fix the problem Bonnie (thech person) suggested it may be the Proof-of-fire switch and I told her that a member on this forum suggested it could be that switch.
As it turns out this switch (at least on my unit) is equipped with a replacement switch that is contained within the same housing so all I needed to do was switch one wire to the another pole and it's back up and running like a champ again. Maybe this has been such a problem in the past that it became necessary to have this built-in replacement switch? So I will keep track of when I switched it over and see how long it lasts. I should probably price this Proof-of-Fire switch and order one to keep on hand? Of course maybe it will last many years and then I will forget what it is. Kind of my M.O.
Hope this helps someone else!

You know now that you mention it I do remember there being a second switch right next to the other.This is my third year with my stove on the original switch.That's sweet that they have that additional switch there though.

Status
Not open for further replies.