CAT Boxwood stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stump_Branch

Minister of Fire
Nov 12, 2010
MD
So i have to onow. I have been looking for a possible 2nd stove. A smaller " boxwood" stove entices me. Moroso, PE, jotul, etc make these shoebox shaped north/south loaders, yet they are all secondary tube stoves. A buddys dad has a dutchwest 207cl in his garage. God i love that stove! Its look, cast, brass dials, the fact it has the unique handle. And its a cat...!
After hearing it for too long, i wouldnt mind having one.

So are there any CAT boxwood type stoves being made? Or am i stuck with hoping on a used one?

You could turn a Woodstock Classic sideways and have a tall box stove.

Hmmm maybe begreen but id have a wonky flue. And even the 207 has glass all 2 by 5 inches of it.

This is me saying woodstock, make a boxwood stove....they may not hear with the progress in the foreground.

Does anyone here even have a 207 or 209cl from dutchwest, or ever ran one?

How about an Elm? Not really a box more like a cylinder. But with all the charm and function of a box stove. I too love the N/S box stoves, I had an old 1936 Atlanta Stoveworks in my fireplace once. It was so easy to use!

I thought the elms were secondary tube types..maybe have to relook. Must say not crazy about their looks.

There are some models that are hybrids, reburn tubes and cats!

But there are also catalytic and non catalytic models with reburn tubes. The following info is from this site:
http://www.vermontironstove.com/about.html

Catalytic Elms

For those of you who have Catalytic Elms, there are replacement catalytic combustors available. Typically the old ceramic ones crumble and loose their effectiveness within 5 or 6 years of being installed. Some people report that theirs are still in good condition, but the chemistry that causes the stove to burn more efficiently has long since worn off. You just can't see that. So periodic replacement is a fact of life. I sell replacement ceramic combustors made by Condar. The cast iron basket that holds the combustor in many stoves has burned out. It is by far the hottest part of the firebox, and the original iron alloy just can not withstand the heat without burning out. Our solution to this problem is to make new ones which appear just like the old ones, except that they are different chemically. The iron foundry adds chromium to the iron to make it resistant to burning out from that intense heat. If yours has burned out, we now have replacement pieces with the new chemistry. What is the benefit of a catalytic stove? The catalytic provides up to 20% more heat, and reduces creosote by 90%. It results in a 75% reduction in air pollution. I have been working on installing stainless steel tubes which supply preheated secondary air for more complete combustion. Basically this air is added just under the baffle so the smoke has the additional oxygen it needs. This system can be used to replace the catalytic parts, but the work has to happen here in my workshop. Replacing the combustor can is sometimes a big job. If you can lift out the old one you can replace it with a new one. But first you should remove the probe thermometer. If there is not enough clearance to remove the can casting, you will have to remove the combustor housing. The four bolts that secure it may be rusted and you may have to cut them off with a grinder. Replacing the housing will require installing a new gasket on the bottom where it meets the barrel.

Attachments

• Elm Wood Stove2.jpg
    Elm Wood Stove2.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 266
  • Elm Wood Stove.jpg
    Elm Wood Stove.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 355
I read, no cat models offered at this time. Im curious to why there arent any/more out there...people tend to complain the boxes are too small to get good burns out of them, then why not have a CAT? Seems it would extend it some...

Status
Not open for further replies.