Cat cleaning fireview

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jrendfrey

Jan 15, 2012
green mtns vt
Hey all it's 50 degrees out lol shut the stove down today started cleaning and noticed the cat is in need of some cleaning some of the holes are getting plugged up with fly ash but not too bad I guess I've read hear that you can use a old paint brush or a can of duster? Which do you prefer? I am going to do it tonight so need some opinions. Also the cast? Plate that is underneath the cat is kind of warped I bought the stove used like that so I'm going to have to replace that piece once spring gets here can anyone give some feedback on the part it's were the screen is cleaned the screen also. So I guess my only real question is should I use a can of duster or a brush I'm thinking the duster will be more effective? Also a about two weeks ago I went up on the roof to clean the chimney and put the tools away because it didn't need it NICE! So I must be doing something right

I cleaned my cat once so far with a soft paint brush.. worked fine.. never had to use any air..

Hey all it's 50 degrees out lol shut the stove down today started cleaning and noticed the cat is in need of some cleaning some of the holes are getting plugged up with fly ash but not too bad I guess I've read hear that you can use a old paint brush or a can of duster? Which do you prefer? I am going to do it tonight so need some opinions. Also the cast? Plate that is underneath the cat is kind of warped I bought the stove used like that so I'm going to have to replace that piece once spring gets here can anyone give some feedback on the part it's were the screen is cleaned the screen also. So I guess my only real question is should I use a can of duster or a brush I'm thinking the duster will be more effective? Also a about two weeks ago I went up on the roof to clean the chimney and put the tools away because it didn't need it NICE! So I must be doing something right
I'm not too familiar with the cats but my friend down the street has one in his Woodstock Soap. Just the other day we cleaned it and all that was done was brushing off lightly as not to damage the honeycone. I had asked him about air and was told that Woodstock doesn't advise it. They don' want anything to get stuck in the tubes. Simple enough.

Woodstock, in the manuals and online, says not to use compressed air.

I used compressed air on my cat. Probably less pressure that you could produce with a straw. The screen was coated with very fluffy ash, that I envisioned being inside the cat cells. Seems less abrasive to me than lightly brushing the surface of the cat, and "cleans" the inside also. That's my thinking.........

I used compressed air on my cat. Probably less pressure that you could produce with a straw. The screen was coated with very fluffy ash, that I envisioned being inside the cat cells. Seems less abrasive to me than lightly brushing the surface of the cat, and "cleans" the inside also. That's my thinking.........
I have heard of some doing that but it is contra-indicated. They probably think that high pressure air could force the particles into the cell so far that you may not be able to remove them. Do they have some kind of liquid dip the cat can be submerged in to clean the cells? Haven't heard of it but I was thinking of something with an acid base like vinegar. Something mild. As an example, I use vinegar on the glass and although it is not perfect, it cleans better than the soot remover and I think it gets into the crevices that etch the glass from over burning and soot. I believe it removes some when gently wiped with 3M pads and wiped down with paper towels.

I had the cat out of my Fv yesterday. Lightly brushed both sides, blew out the ash by mouth. Looked pretty good after that.
I had asked him about air and was told that Woodstock doesn't advise it. They don' want anything to get stuck in the tubes. Simple enough.
I've read that you can actually blow the palladium/platinum off of the substrate with high-pressure compressed air.
If I could find some old-school pipe cleaners, I wouldn't be leery of using them gently if it seemed like the ash wasn't coming out with just blowing on the cat. I've seen that suggested but don't remember where.

Do they have some kind of liquid dip the cat can be submerged in to clean the cells? Haven't heard of it but I was thinking of something with an acid base like vinegar.
I've used this method for a thorough cleaning...may make it an end-of-season ritual.

http://www.condar.com/combustorcleaningmanual.pdf

Do you have a ceramic or SS cat? When I bought my stove used it had a ceramic one that literally fell apart in my hands when I took it out. Replaced with a SS one and really just brush it out once in a while, but it's never been plugged. While I'm brushing I tend to shopvac out the top of the baffle, which also gets the screen (which on my version is on the far left, behind where the cat actually sits).

I replaced the entire cat assembly, baffle, bypass plate and all gaskets for around $200 all in.

I use the dust brush attachment on my shop vac. Does a nice job. Dennis (Backwoods Savage) seems to like using an old paint brush. If any holes are plugged, most manufacturers state you can carefully run a pipe cleaner thru them.

Some manufacturers state you can use canned air, but not air from a compressor, and I always assumed pressure and velocity are the reasoning for that. You could regulate down yourself, but when the shop vac with dusting brush does such a good job, and actually contains the mess versus blowing it all over the garage, why would you mess with the compressor method?

as a pipe smoker I can say that RiteAid generally stocks pipe cleaners. Just makes sure to get the ones that DO NOT have the coarse bristles ...they're readilly apparent since the bristles are usually red.

Thanks for the help guys I used and old paint brush then just lightly blew it out worked excellent cat seems to be working much better to glowing red alotttttt longer now got some crazy wind today supposed to be right back down to zero here tomarrow wish this weather would make up its mind its hot cold hot cold but that's life stay warm Guys

As for the compressed air, only the canned air like you use on the keyboard but nothing stronger for sure. Another little trick is to just hold the cat (still in the frame) about an inch or less over a flat board, like on a deck railing. Lightly tap it (very lightly) on the board and fly ash will just fall right out of the honeycomb. Just have to be careful. Again, just a light tap. Pick it up and don't drop it, but bring it down on the board. It works, but most times a light brushing with an old paint brush will do the trick.

Now be very careful to put that cat frame back in the way it came out. You did note how it was, didn't you? It is possible to put it in backwards and if you do, that cat will not be working because air will just go around it. If in doubt, look at page 21 in the manual. Notice that the "ears" face toward the rear of the stove.

I don't understand this paint brush thing, Dennis. It seems to me any fly ash on the surface of the cat would just get pushed into the cells further as you brush them. I know you have been doing this for years and it works, but it just seems like Joful's shop vac makes more sense - that's what I always do. that way you gently suck out the fly ash instead of brushing it in.

Not at all Tony. You hold the cat in one hand and brush the underside with the other hand holding the brush. Shop vac should work nice too but so far I've not seen the need for one. Normally there is so little fly ash that we wonder why we even clean it.

Well I believe the brush and duster can worked excellent now I need to get on the horn with Woodstock about a replacement baffle as mine is warped from previous owners stove is working excellent though ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359682468.725159.jpg

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Status
Not open for further replies.