Cat flame impingement - how to tell

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pgmr

Feeling the Heat
Jan 14, 2006
Central Indiana
New cat stove is working great. I understand that direct flame to the combustor can cause premature death of said combustor. At higher air settings, the flames seem to curl around the protective plate hanging below the cat, but I can't tell if they are actually getting to the cat. Any ideas?

If there isn't a steady flame being pulled up into the cat you should be fine. I think the newer cat stoves had this in mind when they designed their stoves and it's pretty rare. The old retro fits and stoves that didn't have a protective plate were more prone to this.

pgmr said:
New cat stove is working great. I understand that direct flame to the combustor can cause premature death of said combustor. At higher air settings, the flames seem to curl around the protective plate hanging below the cat, but I can't tell if they are actually getting to the cat. Any ideas?

Impingement- I haven't heard that term since I took classes for carbon monoxide trouble shooting. I would agree with comment above. Keep the flames low, if possible. Some impingement is inevitable. Maybe try one of the new metal cats?

Status
Not open for further replies.