Cat or no Cat? RegencyF2400/Blaze King Princess/P.E.Super27 ???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
"Half a dozen gaskets $30....
Not having to break you back painting and installing 2 stoves ....PRICELESS"

Love it!

;-P

I like yours too.......(Eats wood, not gaskets)

A fire in the P.E. Summit.
This pic doesn't do it justice.
I'm very satisfied with my Summit.

Also, Home Hardware sells a stove similar to the P.E. Super 27.
It is ~ the same size, and sells for ~ $1000.
http://www.kent.ca/online_shopping/seasonal_wood_stoves/7160305.htm
Father-in-law bought one, and it seems to work well.

Just another option, if you were going non-cat.

Attachments

• Summit Fire!.JPG
    Summit Fire!.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 556
Wow, that looks pretty close the the PE and for a grand not bad. I would not risk buying an imitation of one the best stoves out there, but if you Dad thinks it works OK than Kudos to him. A nice find in my book

If I could have another one (I know why would anybody need or want 3 stoves, my other one is Quad 5100) I would like to have the Blaze king to see how it worked compared to my Summit and answer the question in my mind of who is the real King. I would also like to test out the Soap stones

It is good to see another Summit lover, how many is that Elk or Hog?

I lost count a while back.
I can say this, I put 3 mediums & 2 LARGE in this morning at 7:30a,. went out to get my free old/new riding mower hand me down from dad, and now just woke up from nap & watching Dallas get their arses handed to em (Congrats PATS),
and its at 175 degrees. Now 175 ain't much but after over 12 hrs, I am happy. The house has been 78 all day, prolly warmer, the girls actually complained they were too hot (thats a first) and turned the blower off while I was gone this morn. I left it off all day & evening and its still 78 inside here. Granted was not sub zero cold here today
but was chilly last night.
Yesterday I replaced the door gasket. I will admit I was not happy with it since day 1. It seems the factory installation really flattens it out and the door even at full adjustment never sealed quit good enough. Thanks Tom from Chimneysweepsonline, I'll send my business across the country cause as I said, a well knowledgeable & good dealer will get my business. Plus hes a hearthy. If this one compresses too much, I am going to go to a 3/4" or even 1" gasket. This year I have a better knowledge & relationship with my stove. And expect even better results. Right now I am burning all the crap wood and saving the oak for the serious heating.

Yep, this is why Hog Summit is King in my book. I have been so impressed by my Summit since I added the "x-tra" 3 feet of chimney pipe (well now I have what the specs called for). I have been using the "crappy "wood right now too. I have soooo much old wood that I need to use it up before it gets rotten (saving the good stuff for when it is freezing out there). I have been using small rounds and get very impressive 8-9 hour burns. Today I loaded 4 small rounds and I had to cheat a little with a fire starter because the coals from the night before were not enough. I have put 2 good sized splits in also and that's all the wood since 0600. Not too shabby in my book, right now it is 2200 and still enough heat to keep me opening the windows.

Hey to boot I picked up about 2 face cords of free wood, Yahooo! Yah my wife said I was more excited about getting the wood than I was about the pizza and wings for supper(and I live near Buffalo, NY...) Some nice sugar maple just waiting to be split for next year's burn. God I love free wood and I love the fact that I live in a wealthy neighborhood where people would never pick up free wood. Go ahead and laugh at me rich folk as I pick through your chopped down tree, my ass ain't freezing this winter and with the money I save, hell I might just by me another chainsaw...Ohh the choices...Stihl, Husky, Echo? Who knows and who cares, they all kick ass in my book.

How bout them Cowboys!!!!!!! (Well they were lucky with my Bills but when the big boys came to play it was all over)

Ok, I should not pick on the boys, they have always been my second favorite team since the days of Roger "the doger" Staubach!

Hmmm, free wood or pizza. I'd take the pizza if it was from Bocce's, they have been making some mean pies since the 40's.

Gunner said:
Ya, the 6400btu/hr you get on a low 20hr burn must be blasting you out of the broom closet. :roll:
Gunner its more like 10000-15000 untill it eats up most the smoke before it settles down. And that takes a few hours. But thats all I need @ -5c or warmer. Otherwise my windows are open. On the old stove I could not do low clean burns without a small load but then would have to re-fuel sooner. I wouldent be home so on goes the furnace with 15 cord in the back yard. Also Id find myself on the roof once a month cleaning a chiminey that looked like it was going thrugh puberty. All I mostly burn is pine /spruce/poplar and if Im lucky white birch. On a med burn she will still get a good honest 20000 to 25000 btu 8 to 10 hr burn.
Ya It puts out small amont on low and in reall cold weather it doesnt cut it but!!! If iam gone long hours and the wife and kids are away & the house can at least stay above 15c for the 18 to 20 hrs without the oil furnace kickin in Ill take it. When I do come home -15 -25c out +15 feels pretty good. Ill re-load leave her on high put the dual axial fans on doesnt take long to get her above 22c again. Best part about the cat to me is She can run on low and the only soot i get is in the stove. I now clean my stack only once a year weather it needs it or not. And that works for me. :)

Well I have purchased the replacement for the PaPa Bear. I bought a Regency F3100 ped. base, fan and air mate with gold door and ash bin. I got a good deal at the store as it was last years and was used as a demo,very few fires. it should be enough heat for our house. I stayed away from the cat stove for simplicity and I hope I made the right decision, not to mention a large savings on the purchase price.
My next question ..any ideas on getting that old 600 pounder up 10 stairs out of my basement?
I am seriously considering paying the guy at the stove store to come pull it out. It would be worth the money I think.
Getting the Regency down there on a large fridge dolly using gravity to assist should not be a problem, But the length and shape of the PaPa B. will be an issue.
Thanks

Good choice, congratulations. Be sure to post some pictures once that baby is fired up and burning hot.

88GMC1 said:
Well I have purchased the replacement for the PaPa Bear. I bought a Regency F3100 ped. base, fan and air mate with gold door and ash bin. I got a good deal at the store as it was last years and was used as a demo,very few fires. it should be enough heat for our house. I stayed away from the cat stove for simplicity and I hope I made the right decision, not to mention a large savings on the purchase price.
My next question ..any ideas on getting that old 600 pounder up 10 stairs out of my basement?
I am seriously considering paying the guy at the stove store to come pull it out. It would be worth the money I think.
Getting the Regency down there on a large fridge dolly using gravity to assist should not be a problem, But the length and shape of the PaPa B. will be an issue.
Thanks

Good luck with your new stove. I'm sure you'll love it. The whole cat vs non-cat thing is over blown. Don't worry about.

As to moving the 600 lb beast - try planks, 1-1/2" steel pipe, cut to size as rollers, and some rope. Works great. But if you aren't sure about what you're doing, call the stove guys. Don't hurt yourself.

Sean

Well I guess if I could chop up the PaPa Bear and burn it in the new Regency that would solve my problem!!

Hey GMC,enjoy that new Regency,I think you'll be impressed with it.Just how big is the firebox in the 3100?Now that I've got some time in with my 2400,my only wish is for a 3cu.ft.+ firebox.

The door opening is 19"wide 9" tall
the fire box is approx 24" wide 18 " deep and 13" high these measurements were taken without fire brick in the stove and are only approx.
thanks

seaken said:
88GMC1 said:
Thanks

Good luck with your new stove. I'm sure you'll love it. The whole cat vs non-cat thing is over blown. Don't worry about.

As to moving the 600 lb beast - try planks, 1-1/2" steel pipe, cut to size as rollers, and some rope. Works great. But if you aren't sure about what you're doing, call the stove guys. Don't hurt yourself.

Sean

As a suggestion, rather than ropes, I find cargo straps to be good for tying around things, and a couple of "come-alongs" will move things better, albeit slower. I just used a couple to pull one unlisted smoke dragon out of our basement, and get the one that was upstairs (at least it is listed) down into the basement to replace it. I then used the same item to get the new Encore out of our mini-van and into the house. I also use 1/2" pipes for rollers, less of a lift needed to get them under the thing being moved.

Gooserider

well the move has been made ..The PaPa Bear is out and the Regency is in,,,it was NOT easy, all ropes,ramps and pullys aside, I tried calling stove stores to move the PaPa Bear out. They were all Too busy till Jan. and wanted $200.00 to do it. I managed to get a "stair climbing" dolly with a 1200lb. load limit. That thing was a life saver, the 600lb. stove and 3 men to balance it on the way up the stairs and out to the garage. the electric lift wheels just walked the stove up the stairs. and walked the Regency back down. All that is left now is the new Hearth paint and carpet and the room will be good before Christmas. Thanks for all the advice, if I knew how to post pics I would send the before and after shots. give me inst. on posting pics and I will do that next.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.