Cat or No

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
SolarAndWood said:
53flyer said:
Why wouldn't that help?

There are many ways to go about heating your home and many factors that influence the strategy one chooses. Zoned heating especially with cheap electric rates combined withing throwing some wood in a stove that has paid for itself many times over doesn't seem like a bad strategy in a mild climate.

I wish I had cheap electric rates...

SolarAndWood said:
53flyer said:
I believe someone was recently writing about stuffing their BK full of hard wood and getting around 40hrs right? I seem to remember them writing about having an active cat but don't recall if they mentioned the surface temp but if the cat's active doesn't that pretty much indicate the surface temp would've been >200?

Yes. That was in a King stuffed with 2 year seasoned locust and a low burn.

OK. I'm convinced. I would not object if my sister wanted to marry somebody that owns a cat stove. ;-)

BrowningBAR said:
SolarAndWood said:
53flyer said:
Why wouldn't that help?

There are many ways to go about heating your home and many factors that influence the strategy one chooses. Zoned heating especially with cheap electric rates combined withing throwing some wood in a stove that has paid for itself many times over doesn't seem like a bad strategy in a mild climate.

I wish I had cheap electric rates...
I wasn't saying it's not a viable strategy and I've got cheap elec too btw :). All that's meant is that regardless of elec rates, or how often the stove is used, it saves wood (and therefore helps) to burn efficiently as opposed to burning inefficiently with the draft left open.

Re the 40'ish hr burn: I had thought it was either you or Wet that did that 40hr burn but I couldn't remember for sure. Nice burn time!

Bigg_Redd said:

Holy crap, we agree on something. I'm glad I was sitting down!

summit said:
Most notably for people like the CAT fans here that have the time and wherewithall to babysit the thing and play with it untill the CAT is at the right temp, and the dials are all adjusted right, etc.

What??? Having run both, I have no idea what you're talking about. If anything, the Cat is easier. Load, let it come up to temp, close the bypass, set the air and walk away for 8-10 hours. Not exactly what I would call babysitting.

53flyer said:
Re the 40'ish hr burn: I had thought it was either you or Wet that did that 40hr burn but I couldn't remember for sure. Nice burn time!

That big firebox with the wide range of heat output is a nice combination.

Depending on you application, it seems that in December-February there probably isn't a tremendous difference but in the shoulder seasons, the cat stove really shines. Set it and forget it and get exactly the heat you need.

Why wouldn’t it help you to be able to use less wood? You mentioned burning inefficiently with the draft left open most of the time (which burns up your wood faster).

Why do you think that burning with the draft open in inefficient? Normally you get high combustion efficiencies with excess air, and high heat-transfer efficiencies with long residence times, and you get both when you burn a small fire with plenty of air. That's why pellet stoves are efficient, right?

RobertPlamondon said:
Why wouldn’t it help you to be able to use less wood? You mentioned burning inefficiently with the draft left open most of the time (which burns up your wood faster).

Why do you think that burning with the draft open in inefficient? Normally you get high combustion efficiencies with excess air, and high heat-transfer efficiencies with long residence times, and you get both when you burn a small fire with plenty of air. That's why pellet stoves are efficient, right?

I'm not talking about environmental combustion efficiencies. Yes you should get a fairly "clean" burn.

The efficiency of heat transfer is an extremely complicated variable for anything but a guess because every stove will have a different ability for transferring heat from the firebox to the room. Burning with excess air will burn your wood down at a much faster rate (and encourage over firing). Since you don't know exactly what your stoves capacity is for transferring that firebox heat to the room it's more than likely that burning with excess air at a faster/hotter level is wasting heat that's not able to get transferred to the room due to the aforementioned max ability of your stove. Therefore, it makes sense that burning the wood at a lower rate would allow more of the generated BTU's to actually get into the space you're trying to heat.

Irt pellet stoves: Again, I'm not talking about environmental combustion efficiencies.

Two fires a day? What?!
Well, I don't want to build a fire twice a day. Much rather just toss wood into the stove, set the controls and walk away from it. Something tells me I'm not the only one.
In my book a stove that lets me do that without going through a lot of wood is a good one.

So, back to the scrum.
Cats. Hard to run? - NO. Special skills required? - NO. Super special ultra dry wood needed? - NO. (just finishing a cord of crappy pine).
Seems like the people actually using these stoves like them a lot. Gee, maybe not ALL of them are wrong...
Try going through the stove ratings (its buried on the home page on a pull-down menu); it would be pretty amazing if lots of unhappy Woodstock and BK users kept it to themselves.
How many stove manufacturers have a 6 month, no questions asked, FREIGHT INCLUDED return policy? How can they possibly do that unless it just plain works really well? (The answer is one by the way.. WS). What more is there to say? Try it, you'll like it.

I am new to wood burning and I have had zero issues since I started my BK two weeks ago. The first fire I started with it is still the same fire I have in there now. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAAHAAHA

Summit has no leg to stand on here, he is just stirring the pot because we are having all the fun.

Sorry summit but cats seem to be the future in wood burning.

toejam said:
I am new to wood burning and I have had zero issues since I started my BK two weeks ago. The first fire I started with it is still the same fire I have in there now. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAAHAAHA

Summit has no leg to stand on here, he is just stirring the pot because we are having all the fun.

Sorry summit but cats seem to be the future in wood burning.

336 hour burn. :bug: impressive. BB may yet be convinced

toejam said:
I am new to wood burning and I have had zero issues since I started my BK two weeks ago. The first fire I started with it is still the same fire I have in there now.

How many times have you opened the door?

I knew this would make the Cat owners cry.... :lol:
fatty fat 1: I'm glad your cat works for you, great its wonderfull, you are the best ever.... I'm just working of the overwhelming majority of my experience burning wood personally and doing this on a professional level: Where I'm at non Cats are the way to go, thats what the call is for, and most people round here are looking for a non cat... every time I replace a Cat with a non cat people rave about its ease of use, cleaner glass, better burn, etc... quit crapping on me on how I do my job, though. come on down and see our shop, and listen to the people here (If you can afford the by the liter price 4 gas to drive outta Canada, that is..)
toejam: you are a novice woodburner with a stove that is 2 weeks old... give it a little time b4 u start telling me I don't know what I'm talking about. your chimney and CAT should need a cleaning round XMAS, lemme know how it turns out (just don't burn any wrapping paper in that thing, it'll clog the cat)....
Maybe a little stove olympics is in order: we'll line up some Cats, and non cats, see which does better on a full weeks worth of use. we will agree not to use any VCs or Napoleons, and we'll see how it all stands up....

In the end, though: hey you got a BK or a woodstock? great.. wonderfull... they are probably the better of the CAT designs out there (which I have mentioned here, and in the past). Glad you like it. I don't think they are bad stoves, I just think non Cats are better...I'll take my PE any day of the week... If I feel the need to cheap a 12 hour burn outta 2 lbs of wood (w/ a 50 deg stove top temp and black glass, but hey, she's runs 4ever on 2lbs!) like U guys do, I'll shut the old (and mostly unused) pipe damper down and get the same result.

I am seriously considering cutting some cracks in to the corners of my Princess' firebox to see it that will give me cleaner glass. It seems to work for the Summits. ;)

Patapsco Mike said:
I am seriously considering cutting some cracks in to the corners of my Princess' firebox to see it that will give me cleaner glass. It seems to work for the Summits. ;)

that's hitting below the secondary burner tube

summit said:
fatty fat 1: I'm glad your cat works for you, great its wonderfull, you are the best ever.... I'm just working of the overwhelming majority of my experience burning wood personally and doing this on a professional level: Where I'm at non Cats are the way to go, thats what the call is for, and most people round here are looking for a non cat... every time I replace a Cat with a non cat people rave about its ease of use, cleaner glass, better burn, etc... quit crapping on me on how I do my job, though. come on down and see our shop, and listen to the people here (If you can afford the by the liter price 4 gas to drive outta Canada, that is..)
toejam: you are a novice woodburner with a stove that is 2 weeks old... give it a little time b4 u start telling me I don't know what I'm talking about. your chimney and CAT should need a cleaning round XMAS, lemme know how it turns out (just don't burn any wrapping paper in that thing, it'll clog the cat)....
Maybe a little stove olympics is in order: we'll line up some Cats, and non cats, see which does better on a full weeks worth of use. we will agree not to use any VCs or Napoleons, and we'll see how it all stands up....

In the end, though: hey you got a BK or a woodstock? great.. wonderfull... they are probably the better of the CAT designs out there (which I have mentioned here, and in the past). Glad you like it. I don't think they are bad stoves, I just think non Cats are better...I'll take my PE any day of the week... If I feel the need to cheap a 12 hour burn outta 2 lbs of wood (w/ a 50 deg stove top temp and black glass, but hey, she's runs 4ever on 2lbs!) like U guys do, I'll shut the old (and mostly unused) pipe damper down and get the same result.

Summit, have you read your own thread yet? I dont think you have. Just reading what you want to see. From your last post it just tells me you really dont have a clue with your limited experience. Gosh, you think SW Washington where Fattyfat1 is from is in Canada. OMG Try and get out of your box a little more. But if it makes you feel any better since I think I know what type of person you are , YOU WIN!!! OK Life goes on even when people dont tell ya what you want to here :roll: .... Cheque PLEASE

53flyer said:
RobertPlamondon said:

I'm not talking about environmental combustion efficiencies. Yes you should get a fairly "clean" burn.

The efficiency of heat transfer is an extremely complicated variable for anything but a guess because every stove will have a different ability for transferring heat from the firebox to the room.

Once you start burning a cat stove with the bypass open for more than just the initial burn off after a reload, you are effectively giving up control of combustion and the possibility of any secondary combustion. I have ample evidence of the 2x(+) wood consumption that occurs with my last two stoves that had warped firebacks by the end of their second heating seasons that eliminated the bypass door. That said, I was still able to keep the house warm and there was no smoke coming from the chimney. It just took a lot more wood and fire tending to do it.

summit said:

Congrats. You are coming off like a total d-bag in this thread. Truly embarrassing on your part.

carinya said:
336 hour burn. :bug: impressive. BB may yet be convinced

You busted me. I should have said I have only had to start one fire to keep my stove running for two weeks.

I opened and closed my door 2x a day at two weeks = 28x

Looking back at his original post the comment on a recent BK princess creosote issue was removed. I wouldn't have posted my comment had I known that.

Oh cats . . . all the way . . . I'm more of a cat person than a dog person . . . I have four of them. Theodore Roosevelt, Calvin Coolidge, Thumper and Lucky (I'm not quite sure why the gals didn't get First Lady names like the boys.) I once had a dog, but realized very quickly that I'm not a dog person. In fact, my wife says that if she dies before me she fears that I'll be one of those crazy hermits you hear about who end up with a bazillion cats living in their home.

As to what I will heat that home with . . . catalytic stove or secondary burning tech . . . well we'll see what is out on the market when that time comes. For me personally, I bought a non-cat this time around based partly on my friend's experience with cats from the early and mid-1980s when cats were in their infancy. I was also a bit turned off by the idea of having to replace the cat after a few years and was concerned that my first year's wood was less than ideal.

Now, after having read many real-life reviews from folks who have been burning with cats for quite some time I can honestly say that I would not fear a cat stove . . . and the idea of the long burn times appeals to me . . . but that said, like Brother Bart I really cannot find any real faults in the stove I am using currently.

So, that said . . . when the time comes to replace the stove we'll see what is out there. Will cats be a relict of the past? Will secondary burn tech be passed by by third burn tech? Will the robots rise up and crush humanity and we're all living in a dream world while the machines use our bodies as power sources? Who knows? ;)

firefighterjake said:
Oh cats . . . all the way . . . I'm more of a cat person than a dog person . . . I have four of them. Theodore Roosevelt, Calvin Coolidge, Thumper and Lucky (I'm not quite sure why the gals didn't get First Lady names like the boys.) I once had a dog, but realized very quickly that I'm not a dog person. In fact, my wife says that if she dies before me she fears that I'll be one of those crazy hermits you hear about who end up with a bazillion cats living in their home.

As to what I will heat that home with . . . catalytic stove or secondary burning tech . . . well we'll see what is out on the market when that time comes. For me personally, I bought a non-cat this time around based partly on my friend's experience with cats from the early and mid-1980s when cats were in their infancy. I was also a bit turned off by the idea of having to replace the cat after a few years and was concerned that my first year's wood was less than ideal.

Now, after having read many real-life reviews from folks who have been burning with cats for quite some time I can honestly say that I would not fear a cat stove . . . and the idea of the long burn times appeals to me . . . but that said, like Brother Bart I really cannot find any real faults in the stove I am using currently.

So, that said . . . when the time comes to replace the stove we'll see what is out there. Will cats be a relict of the past? Will secondary burn tech be passed by by third burn tech? Will the robots rise up and crush humanity and we're all living in a dream world while the machines use our bodies as power sources? Who knows? ;)

Funny, my dog's name is Woodrow Wilson.

firefighterjake said:
(I'm not quite sure why the gals didn't get First Lady names like the boys.)

My black female cat is named Michelle. Took her in as a stray during the Presidential campaign. :cheese:

summit said:

For a "professional" you dont represent well. In fact your very inncaurate in your bashing of CAT stoves. Both CAT and Non-Cat stoves work well. It comes down to preference. You are spouting your opinions as if they are fact. Uneducated people do that. Do yourself a favor; don't talk.

Mental note....no one buy from summit, he clearly only likes to promote what he stocks, not what works.

Summit said :
If I feel the need to cheap a 12 hour burn outta 2 lbs of wood (w/ a 50 deg stove top temp and black glass, but hey, she’s runs 4ever on 2lbs!) like U guys do, I’ll shut the old (and mostly unused) pipe damper down and get the same result.

One more thing summit, if your a "professional", what you said above does not say alot about what your burning. WET WOOD !!!! Get a clue.

Status
Not open for further replies.