Cat or non-Cat--THAT is the question--

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey WD Thanks,

I usually run the brush through the chimney once around Christmas and again when I close the unit up in the spring. Each time you could fit all the creosote from the chimney in a 12oz soda can. I wish I was more knowledgeable but I really don't know how this would compare to a non-CAT unit.

I'm not sure what to say about the lazy flame. It looks pretty normal to me, although once I turn down the air intake the flame does go way down(as you would expect).

As far as the CAT goes, north of 60 pretty much nailed it. Once the Cat lights-up it tends to stay lit for the most part. One thing that is a little tricky is that you need to be aware when you adjust the air intake. If you turn it down too low the fire will start to die down too far and the CAT will not stay lit.

Also, once you engage the CAT your draft will drop(since the smoke is now going through the CAT rather than just straight up the chimney). If the FP is up to temp and the CAT lights up everything is fine. If you do this before the FP is up to temp though the FP will take much longer to warm up. Even though the CAT is engaged, it won't light up until the FP gets to the correct temp.

Let me know if you have any more questions....

Y

Thank you gentlemen! Although a little freaked by the whole cat thing at first, I'm now looking forward to getting it installed and breaking it in. Learning the sweet spots will be fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.