Cat Piss Burns Good

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HeatsTwice

Minister of Fire
Jan 7, 2008
Santa Rosa, California
Any one have the same problem as me. I always keep a ready stack by the stove at night. By the morning a cat butt has been by it marking teratory. Its no big deal since since I wear gloves to feed the fire in the morning. But since the pile keeps changing and cats hate change, everytime I put down new splits, I feel like I'm putting down a cat piss bulls eye.

sorry, my dog would probably eat a cat.
that sucks, i'm not a cat lover, i will leave it a that...

I love dogs and cats. They both have their place. I haven't seen a mole, vole, lizard, snake, bat, skunk, rat, dragon fly, or mouse around here since they arrived, thanks to the cats. Heck, I've even seen em eat black widows, flys and scorpion's. My dog keeps the racoons and deer away. He pisses outside at least.

Kevin* said:
sorry, my dog would probably eat a cat.
that sucks, i'm not a cat lover, i will leave it a that...

Is that the same dog as in the picture?

I'd kill the cat. Sorry. Lol

my cats are spayed they do not mark anything

HeatsTwice said:
...I haven't seen a mole, vole, lizard, snake, bat, skunk, rat, dragon fly, or mouse around here since they arrived, thanks to the cats....

That is exactly why I don't have a cat. Plus they clog up if you don't have dry wood and they are expensive to replace.

Cover splits with an old rag or cloth, then spray cloth with lemon extract, you can get it cheap at Trader Joe's. Keeps my cat away from stuff. Try other stuff, like mint if that doesn't work. If that does not work, throw cats in basement, or put in a crate(good luck catching them). BTW, it is probably only one of them who is the culprit.

Put the litter box on the hearth :lol:

I've always had female cats, so it's never been a problem for me. Are they neutered? Usually neutered males won't mark. It could also be that there's already a scent on your wood that's causing them to do that. My mom's cat kept marking by the door, come to find out another male stray was marking on the door on the outside (her cat was indoor only). They were literally having a pissing match.

I love cats . . . but not cats that haven't been "fixed" . . . neighbor had a male tomcat who kept spraying my window and back door . . . finally that cat just disappeared . . . and no, I honestly had nothing to do with its disappearance, but I was pretty happy.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will try them all.

All four of our cats have been fixed.

Three boys one girl (she runs the house when wife, and daughters are away). True its probably her.

Wood Duck said:
HeatsTwice said:
...I haven't seen a mole, vole, lizard, snake, bat, skunk, rat, dragon fly, or mouse around here since they arrived, thanks to the cats....

That is exactly why I don't have a cat. Plus they clog up if you don't have dry wood and they are expensive to replace.

Gosh, it took me a looong time to figure that one out. Too early in the morning.

ecocavalier02 said:
I'd kill the cat. Sorry. Lol

I was thinking the same or the cat would get the "CLIP"

No Smell. Must get sucked out the OAK input. The stove is also in a "mud" room on a large tile floor. So its not exactly inside the house.

We have 10 cats, all were strays that needed a home. From time to time, one (or more) decides to just pee at odd places, for whatever reason. Perhaps they are marking although they are all fixed, or they are "nervous" about something else. We clean it up a.s.a.p. with some urine neutralizer product that you can buy anywhere, I curse and mutter some not-so-nice things and we move on. It hasn't happened for awhile now thankfully. They have never gone on the firewood stash that I know of; if they did I don't want to know because I would not be very happy let's say that much....

If the smell gets sucked out the OAK, that would mean your room air is getting sucked through the OAK - which doesn't sound right.

Long as your OK with it though is all that really matters - but if it was here my wife would have those cats down the road so fast it would make your head spin.

HeatsTwice said:
No Smell. Must get sucked out the OAK input. The stove is also in a "mud" room on a large tile floor. So its not exactly inside the house.

Okay, so you say it doesn't stink, which perplexes me, and that your stove is outside in a mud room, which confuses me, but that is beside the point. You also say that the cat only does this when a new, un-pissed on load of wood appears? Solution--leave one (clearly marked--no pun intended) whizzed-on split on the pile. Maybe that will satisfy the little wanker.

firefighterjake said:
I love cats . . . but not cats that haven't been "fixed" . . . neighbor had a male tomcat who kept spraying my window and back door . . . finally that cat just disappeared . . . and no, I honestly had nothing to do with its disappearance, but I was pretty happy.

Yeah right ;-P

Wood Duck said:
HeatsTwice said:

A big +1 Wood Duck - cats should be indoors, period (I have two cats, so I'm not a cat hater). They really ravage wildlife. Cheers!

HeatsTwice said:
Thanks for the suggestions. I will try them all.

All four of our cats have been fixed.

Three boys one girl (she runs the house when wife, and daughters are away). True its probably her.

Girls usually don't mark. Is it "up" on the wood or a puddle on the ground? Boys usually aim up...

Has this been an ongoing thing, or more recent? The other possiblity is one of them has a urinary tract infection or another medical issue.

Hmmm . . . the suggestion of a UTI might be worth noting . . . the last time I had a problem with one of my own cats urinating in a place other than a box was due to the fact that he was going through the dying process . . . didn't realize this fact though at first . . . not saying the cats are dying, but rather there could be a medical reason.

Nothing like discussing cat tinkle on a dreary Monday.

firebroad said:
Nothing like discussing cat tinkle on a dreary Monday.

Except that it's Tuesday . . . and we actually had a bit of snow here earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.