Cat Probe Thermometer Difference

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
NW Wisconsin
cat probe2.png catprobe1.png Anyone notice the difference in the Condar cat probes? I think they changed the style from all black with a max of 2000 to a black and silver zone that only goes up to 1700. I wonder if they changed it to make it more accurate due to the radiant heat effect?

Considering the spacing change in the scales, I'd say they are now using a different bimetallic strip. Contact them and ask. I've had good responses directly from them with questions I've shot their way before.

pen

Considering the spacing change in the scales, I'd say they are now using a different bimetallic strip. Contact them and ask. I've had good responses directly from them with questions I've shot their way before.

pen

I wonder if they have made the flue probes more accurate?

I think they changed the numbers on the face to make up for the inaccuracy at higher temps caused by radiant heat. I know from my own tests and others here that once these probes get up and over 1000 they seem to read high. I'll have to shoot them an email to find out.

I think they changed the numbers on the face to make up for the inaccuracy at higher temps caused by radiant heat. I know from my own tests and others here that once these probes get up and over 1000 they seem to read high. I'll have to shoot them an email to find out.

Thank you Todd if they did fix the issue i may purchase a new one from them.

I never remember seeing mine go above 1700 anyway?

What size are you guys using? 2 inch dial 1.75 inch probe? My oe bk one is 2 inch dial by 2 inch probe.

I wonder if they have recalibrated their flue probe thermometers as well. Pen and my testing seemed to show they read high at higher temps too.

I switched to the 2" dial 1.75 probe for my BK Princess. I figure the 1/4" shouldn't matter much and I like to see some numbers.
100_1743.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.