Cat stove buyer Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Vermont castings Cat stove, and I really don't like it. You have to "babysit" it a lot. Watch the temps a lot and flip levers, etc. Non cat wood furnace in basement is easier to use. Just throw in some wood and adjust damper. Not keep checking on it so it doesn't get too hot, etc. I would look at the non cat. At least you don't have to keep spending money!

Ann from KY said:
I have a Vermont castings Cat stove, and I really don't like it. You have to "babysit" it a lot. Watch the temps a lot and flip levers, etc. Non cat wood furnace in basement is easier to use. Just throw in some wood and adjust damper. Not keep checking on it so it doesn't get too hot, etc. I would look at the non cat. At least you don't have to keep spending money!

Your KEY words ( I have a Vermont castings Cat stove, and I really don't like it.) I guess they are all bad then? Your experience is opposite to many on other brand CAT stoves. I gotta heat 24/7 for a minimum of 8+ month's with pine.
I wouldn't do it any other way.

north of 60 said:
Ann from KY said:

Your KEY words ( I have a Vermont castings Cat stove, and I really don't like it.) I guess they are all bad then? Your experience is opposite to many on other brand CAT stoves. I gotta heat 24/7 for a minimum of 8+ month's with pine.
I wouldn't do it any other way.

Had the same VC cat experience Ann, the BK couldn't be more different. Load stove, set tstat, come back in 24 hours.

I got a stove this weekend. BK Princess Ultra
It was last years demo and was 50% of the cost of a new one.

I just wanted to thank everyone for their comments and suggestions it really help.

relayer said:
Oooh, I don't know, it's a got a full YEAR of wear on it ? That means it'll probably die a year before you do.

Seriously though, congratulations on the stove and the deal !

RustyShackleford said:
congratulations on the stove and the deal !

No doubt. That was a good buy.

relayer said:
That's great! :)
Your sig indicates lots of experience burning wood. I guess you've got plenty of dry wood on hand?

relayer said:

I just wanted to thank everyone for their comments and suggestions it really help.

That sounds like a great deal on a good stove! Congrats

I wish I had a lot of good wood on hand. I still had a bunch of wood at my old house and was planing on bringing that down to my new house, but I was only able to get about a cord of wood before I got an offer on my house. So it will be only a very cold weather burn season this year, instead of an 24/7 burn. At least it will be a burning season.

Status
Not open for further replies.