Cat temp roller coaster

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

RandyBoBandy

Minister of Fire
Feb 25, 2015
Whitmore lake, MI
So I got to my cabin last night and fired up the difiant. Ran great. Cat peaked at about 1625 and ran really well. This morning when I closed the damper the cat temps shot up to 1100 and then fall to 875 almost as fast. Then it will climb back up to 1100 or so an then fall again. And rise again and fall again. I'm thinking it keeps stalling and lighting off again?

Could draft be changing - due to weather conditions or some in-house fans? I could see this happening when temps outside are high because draft is poor, or if it was windy.

I can't seem to get my get my WS Fireview cat temps much above 1000F, but the tip of the Condar probe is a good 2" from the cat.

I can't seem to get my get my WS Fireview cat temps much above 1000F, but the tip of the Condar probe is a good 2" from the cat.

I believe that the tip is supposed to be 1/2 to 3/4" from the cat. Really close.

It's 22 degrees out. No wind for the most part. I'm going to have to let the stove go cold so I can take the cat out and clean it I guess. That won't be until 9 pm though.