Catalyst clogged with I don't know what

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I see the info on how to replace it in the manual. Doesn't seem like rocket science. I may give it a try this spring after the burning season. After the winter storm and single digit temps this next week or so, I'll open her up and see if there is any visible damage to the chamber, then go from there.

Ironically with the new cat (unclogged) it seems to be working pretty much as I expected. The cat probe thermometer I bought stays about 1100-1300 degrees with the damper closed. The stove now keeps the temp up on reloads and the air control seems to be keeping the stove top temp more stable. Almost too much heat output for the house - but not complaining there.

If that is indeed refractory piled up on top of your cat I would let the stove go cold and inspect the damage right away. If there is a big hole in the top of your refractory box I would not burn the stove. You could cause more damage then you will be willing to fix in the spring.

Reactions: Patapsco Mike
If there is a hole you might be able to patch it with some refractory cement. Not sure how well that will work. Maybe a pro can chime in on this option

I ordered a new chamber, should get it in a couple of days. Since this stove is something I inherited and really don't know the exact history, I would rather replace the parts that I can now instead of paying for it later. At least then I will know what the history is and where I stand.

Reactions: RandyBoBandy
If there are no holes and it's running good I would burn it until spring. But you need to look that box over real good. I have never seen that much crap on top of a cat before.

Reactions: chance04
A lot of guys in the VC owners thread have. Jharkin detailed his rebuild quite well.

I haven’t seen jharkin on this forum much lately, but I think I have other catact info for him (buried, somewhere), if you can’t get thru to him. Of course, there are likely others on the VC threads, who have done the same rebuild.

I ordered a new chamber, should get it in a couple of days. Since this stove is something I inherited and really don't know the exact history, I would rather replace the parts that I can now instead of paying for it later. At least then I will know what the history is and where I stand.
I don’t know the insides of a VC stove from a Woodstock (well, the VC is the pretty one), but there is usually the primary chamber (box), and a chamber cover (covers the hole thru which you insert the combustor), at a minimum. Sometimes there are other small pieces as well, such as the floor guard in the Jotul Firelight 12. The cover is usually the most beat-up piece, from yearly maintenance, so you may need one of those. Often, the other pieces (like that Jotul floor piece) are just flat-out missing.

Bottom line, check the assembly drawings for your stove (online), and be sure you ordered all of the parts. You will also (usually) need some gasket rope during re-installation.

I haven’t seen jharkin on this forum much lately, but I think I have other catact info for him (buried, somewhere), if you can’t get thru to him. Of course, there are likely others on the VC threads, who have done the same rebuild.
Harkin has definitely been quiet this year. @Reckless has done a rebuild, @Diabel has done a rebuild and I believe @defiant3 works on them for a living. It might be in the 2013 VC owners thread where jharkin documented his rebuild

Fun another rebuild!! Have at it and good luck... They are pretty straight forward

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk