Catalyst Education

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

David Tackett

Oct 17, 2012
Waynesburg, Kentucky
I just bought a catalyst stove a few weeks ago. It is my first stove of this style. The stove was used and is 6 years old. I have noticed a lot of postings stating the Cats last 6-8 years. I think this one will last longer, because I can tell my the condition of the stove it was used sparingly over the last 6 years. My question is, when the Cat starts to go bad and goes bad, what are the symptoms? How will I know when it is going bad or gone bad?

I just bought a catalyst stove a few weeks ago. It is my first stove of this style. The stove was used and is 6 years old. I have noticed a lot of postings stating the Cats last 6-8 years. I think this one will last longer, because I can tell my the condition of the stove it was used sparingly over the last 6 years. My question is, when the Cat starts to go bad and goes bad, what are the symptoms? How will I know when it is going bad or gone bad?
It will take longer for the cat to become active or may not go active at all or run on the cooler side if this makes any sense.. A cat temp probe is very helpful so you know what's going on. My old CDW came with the probe but many add them if they don't have one..

Ray

Reactions: ddddddden
I have a temp probe, it is a Condar. How do I know if the Cat is active or not? I keep reading on here people saying the "cat is active or not active". It is a piece of ceramic, I don't understands the terminology "active" in this case.

I have a temp probe, it is a Condar. How do I know if the Cat is active or not? I keep reading on here people saying the "cat is active or not active". It is a piece of ceramic, I don't understands the terminology "active" in this case.
I believe 500+ degrees is active and normal running temps would range between 800-1200 degrees..

Ray

I have a temp probe, it is a Condar. How do I know if the Cat is active or not? I keep reading on here people saying the "cat is active or not active". It is a piece of ceramic, I don't understands the terminology "active" in this case.[/quote
http://www.woodstovecombustors.com/How_They_Work.html

Ray

Reactions: David Tackett

On our stove and I suspect all other cat stoves, once we engage the cat the stove top temperature will rise fast whereas before engaging it rises very slow.

It sounds as if you have not removed the catalyst yet and if so, you should remove it and clean it if necessary. Normal find on the cat is just the light dust of fly ash and we just brush ours with an old paint brush and put it back in. You can use the small cans of air like you would use on your keyboard but don't use regular compressed air lest it remove the good stuff off the honeycomb. If the cat is really bad then perhaps you need to clean it further but that is rare.

Woodstock recommends cleaning the cat after perhaps a cord of wood but this depends a lot on your wood. If it is really good and dry then it will not need cleaning that often but if it is not really good wood, best to clean it after a cord of wood or perhaps 3 times per heating season.

Reactions: raybonz
I clean mine every 2 to 3 weeks so i guess i'm in the clear.

I took it out and cleaned when I first bought it from the guy. I overhauled the entire stove. He used it as an insert, I even sanded and repainted all the metal.

David, when the cat goes bad it will start to crumble. You'll see it when you remove the cat for cleaning. A little cracking and crumbling won't harm but once it starts it seems to go fast. So if you notice any, best to get another one ordered. Or if you start to see lots of smoke and not so hot of a stove, then that too can be a sign.

Status
Not open for further replies.